Great Values, Great Workplace

Pros

Apex has a wonderful corporate culture, and the people feel like family. It's really a great place to work.

Cons

The only downside if the lack of career advance opportunities. But, if you like the job you are in, then it won't really matter.

Other Employee Reviews for Apex Capital

An amazing summer internship

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern
    Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern

I have been working at Apex Capital as an intern

Pros

I spent this past summer as a software intern with Apex, and I’ve had an awesome experience. I didn’t know what to expect when walking into this job because it’s the first “real” software job that I've had. However, I can say that the way that things worked out this summer turned out to be a best-case scenario for me, and I have been very grateful for the opportunities. Coming into this summer, I was hoping to find a job/internship from which I could gain some experience more relevant to my future. Once I started getting into the process of corresponding with Apex, I noticed that it was different from most of what I had experienced up to that point. Apex was in every way professional, but at the same time there was a unique personal touch – it seemed more relaxed and laid-back, and I immediately felt more comfortable. One of the things that I enjoyed about Apex was that, because it wasn’t an enormous company, I was given the opportunity to learn about some of the different facets of computer science that aren’t really detailed in the early years of school. Going into the internship, I expressed the hope that it would help me narrow down the areas of computer science that are of the most interest to me, and looking back now, I feel like I have a greater understanding of what all goes on in the software world. As an intern, the amount of purpose that I found in my work was pleasantly surprising. Immediately, I was pulled into working on useful projects that would actually become a part of the Apex workflow. I was able to tackle a project that was independent enough and small enough that I could be involved in nearly every aspect of the program (brainstorming, front & back end, database stuff, web services, testing, presentations, etc.) and bring it to a point of conclusion before the summer was over. It was fun being able to have some freedom to lay things out as I saw fit, and it’s nice to be able to have something that I can definitively call my own. As far as the people in the company go, it honestly went way better than I expected. Not that I expected the people to be terrible or anything, but the atmosphere at Apex has been more enjoyable than I could have imagined. The IT department antics – Nerf guns, free food, bubble-pooping helicopters, lunch outings, and pie time, among other things – all helped contribute to a really fun work environment. Plus, the people here are really easy to work with, and they have good senses of humor, which is always nice. So, all in all, it was a great experience. I’m very grateful for the opportunity.

Cons

Since I’m only an intern, it’s hard for me to say anything bad because I have yet to identify any glaring issues within my department that need to be addressed. The hardest part about work was the traffic, but there’s not much that you can do about that.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. When it comes to working with interns, the two most helpful things for me were, one, being able to sit at different people’s desks to learn about what they did and what role they played in the company, and two, being able to take on small projects that were of legitimate use to Apex.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Apex Capital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Apex is a great place to work. The people are friendly, there is open communication among all job levels, and many celebrations and team building events throughout the year.

Cons

Even though overall the company as a whole greatly values its employees, just how much varies from department to department. Profit share is a great bonus, but the workload and responsibilities for some of the smaller departments at the company have increased yet, even with profit share, are well below average.

Advice to Management

As I said above some positions salaries could be re-examined, but otherwise keep up the great work at making Apex somewhere employees can enjoy coming to work each day!

Apex Capital Response

Jul 22, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for the insight into your work experience so far. It's good to hear that our efforts to encourage better communication have been working. As Apex continues to grow quickly, we realize ... More