There are newer employer reviews for Apollo Education Group

In my opinion, for a Software Engineer Apollo used to be a good place to work, but not anymore.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Benefits are good and pay rate is OK. Apollo always throws a good Holiday party.

Cons

In my opinion, favoritism in advancement decisions is rampant with the unspoken endorsement of upper management. In my opinion, there is no respect for software engineers and they are treated like lower tier employees. In my opinion, Engineering has a layer of so call ‘architects’ that are the most egocentric and arrogant people I have worked with. In my opinion, the current working environment if very poor in the new office space but management refuses to acknowledge the dissatisfaction after receiving feedback from many employees. In my opinion, there is no intention of investing in real workspace improvements.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing if you want to lose your best engineers but keep a layer of ‘architects’ that in my opinion cannot (or refuse to) do engineering work.

Other Employee Reviews for Apollo Education Group

All the Good People Have Left

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Good pay. Having a job is better than not having a job. Best IT personnel have left so there is real opportunity to have big impact.

Cons

All of the good programmers have left. Many left are on H1B and can't leave. Terrible idea to offshore with no apparent plan to succeed. Top management is terrible. No consistent direction. A big company that is run like mom and pop shop. Not a mature development organization. If you are in IT you can probably do a lot better.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Have a goal, a vision, an understanding of priority. Do not put people in a position to fail and then burn them out when they do. You are an American Company receiving 90% of your money from the US government so you need to stop doing offshore. It doesn't work anyway.

A good but not great place to work, pay was terrible and climate changed after numerous reorgs

Current Employee - IT Division Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - IT Division Technician in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Ability to travel is great. Generally good work environment. Stress free, and they provide the tools to get the job done. You can pretty much expense anything when traveling. Always updating technology

Cons

Low pay. If u don't wanna live in Phoenix then the upward mobility is non existent. It appears the good ol boy system is alive and well

Advice to Management

Fight for your employees pay. When doing reviews, be able to justify why or why not a person does or doesn't deserve a commensurate raise. Be ready to have facts and empirical data to justify reasoning