There are newer employer reviews for Apollo Education Group

Apollo Group -- A Great place to work

Current Employee - IT Supervisor, Technical Support  in  Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - IT Supervisor, Technical Support in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Apollo Education Group

Pros

Apollo Group is recession-proof, pays well and has a wonderful benefits package. They offer a wide array of jobs in many different departments. They also provide employees with the chance to go to school and obtain a degree for free.

The opportunities for promotions and job growth are plentiful at Apollo Group, Inc., and because it is such a large companies, there is opportunity for lateral movement between departments and divisions. If your current job is not satisfactory, you can easily find a job within the company and apply for it without pressure or resentment from management.

They hire family members, and many people work with their spouses, parents, or siblings.

Cons

There is no down side really.

There needs to be better and more effective communication from senior management to employees, and they need to institute better change management strategies.

295 Other Employee Reviews for Apollo Education Group (View Most Recent)

Varies Greatly Depending Upon Your Direct Management

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Apollo Education Group

Pros

Apollo has a large IT organization where there is the opportunity to be exposed to the latest technology. You will find that most of your co-workers are friendly and polite. They foster a team environment where each individual has a distinct role and it can provide a good starting point for those just beginning their career.

Benefits and employee costs are fairly standard, plus they allow you take courses at their associated universities free of charge. It is an organization that does promote advancing your professional skills by attending seminars and other educational opportunities.

Most of the organization supports flexible schedules (i.e., compressed work weeks) and allows a "work from home" option on a regular basis.

Cons

The benefits and downsides vary greatly depending upon your direct management. As a developer, your workload will differ depending upon the project/department to which you are assigned. Some teams have a relatively light workload, giving them ample time to explore professional growth opportunities within the organization.

My personal experience was the expectation to work 10+ hour days on a regular basis, struggling to meet tight deadlines. Because of the tight schedules most of the time I felt like a "code monkey", simply putting together the quickest solution - not necessarily the best solution. Despite the access to new technology, development techniques employed at Apollo seemed to be years behind current standards. Lack of standards and defined best practices was shocking.

Compensation (although consistent with market rates) seems lacking in light of the demands placed upon employees. If one were to calculate an hourly rate using the actual hours spent working, it would actually be far less than market value.

I can honestly say working at Apollo has been the most stressful job I have had in my entire career.

Provide a more standardized development process and guidelines to the software teams. Evaluation of existing practices and policies by external consultants would probably provide some useful insight on how to improve.

Pays Less for Employees with Education

Current Employee - Academic Counselor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Academic Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Apollo Education Group

Pros

Tuition benefits, team building activities, easy to get approved for time off, possibilities to get 20% raises bi-yearly, job that is not that demanding, and when you go home you do not take the job with you.

Cons

Leadership is a joke. I have been in the organization for three years and I have only been in the room with my director twice. The director position is only two levels higher and is directly responsible for the numbers the employees produce. Management can get away with murder. Mine has infinite time off it seems like. The 20% raises are almost impossible to acquire. They make the standards harder and harder every different evaluation that comes out. Measured on numbers that you can not control. Takes management forever to approve performance reviews

Besides that fact that all of our senior management is leaving or has left for Grand Canyon State I wonder what is going on. Senior management needs to disclose why all of the organization's leadership is jumping ship. I really believe there is to many employees in the enrollment department. For low performance employees the department is not turning over employees, instead the organization keeps them. The best thing to happen to this company is for a CEO to come in from the outside, experience in the private and public sector. The first thing the CEO will do is cut 30% of enrollment. You the company will still grow and now you keep your best performers. Pay the people that do their jobs.

There are newer employer reviews for Apollo Education Group

Worked for Apollo Education Group? Contribute to the Community!