There are newer employer reviews for Apollo Education Group

"Poor Planning" leads to "Poor Execution" leads to "Hey, I'm outta here!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Apollo Education Group

Pros

- very smart people
- great product development group
- great product innovations for the higher-education sector

Cons

Run from the Marketing org; unfortunately, the wild, wild west still lives!!!

Lead by example and develop your people.

318 Other Employee Reviews for Apollo Education Group (View Most Recent)

Flexible work schedule but well below par pay and no career advancement

Current Employee - Director of FP&A in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Director of FP&A in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Apollo Education Group

Pros

Flexible work environment, fitness center, relatively stress free for my level, can telecommute one day each week.

Cons

The VP that I work for is a micromanager, she checks everything that I do and it's very frustrating. She tries to make herself look good in senior level mgmt meetings and pass my work off as hers. I am not appreciated at all. My pay is just under $100k with a small bonus paid quarterly. Most other Directors are around $115k - $125k. The location is also a negative, really bad side of town too.

I would suggest doing 360 reviews on all Director level and above so they can see what is going on here.

Dis-organized, no clear direction

Former Employee - IT Production Services in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - IT Production Services in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Apollo Education Group

Pros

Tuition benefits start on first day of employment, medical benefits after 60 days, good location for me. Ability to work from home when needed.

Cons

Way too many organizational changes. Those who have been with the company for many years are resistant to change. It felt like the entire IT organization was dis-jointed. No one worked together towards a common goal. Very much a silo mentality. Leadership appeared to be fighting for control and backstabbing each other. You didn't know who you could trust. Very poor communication. I discovered the layoffs via Tweets from various news sources. Did not receive an internal communication until two days later.

Also there was a hugh disparity in pay amongst people that were doing the same job. One person in the exact same role was making six-figures. Because they were friends with the hiring manager they were giving a higher salary because they were going through personal issues. A lot of favoritism. I find it funny that this person is not only horrible at their job but they dislike their job and they are making a great salary!

Also, some of the managers were in their role because there was no where else for them to go. They should not have been managers. Some did not know their jobs at all or what they were managing but got those positions because of either being at the company too long or just knew the right people.

Communication is key. Involve your people who are on the front line and gain their feedback prior to making big impactful decisions. It felt like leadership was way too high up in the clouds and were recklessly making decisions that were not beneficial to their organization. Develop critical-thinking skills. Take leadership training.

There are newer employer reviews for Apollo Education Group