There are newer employer reviews for AppDirect

Values oriented company

Current Employee - Programmer  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Programmer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDirect full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company is very values oriented and listening to what employees have to say despite it is already 70+ in size. They recently, for instance, had anonymous survey where you could rate management and various topics completely anonymously and provide feedback. Based on that average rating was between 4-4.5 which is really great taking into account number of people in the company. The company is very schedule-oriented and no matter what hey say they value delivery on schedule in the first place. On upside also is management which is absolutely not intrusive and let you do your job your way as soon as you meet your commitments. They also are very supportive with small requests and whatever makes business sense.
Another huge plus is that company is profitable and cover it's expenses with it's revenue unlike vast majority of other startups out there.
Also, I like people here and feel like everyone is pretty happy and pleasure to deal with.

Cons

The company is schedule-oriented, so if you prefer to work in more relaxed manner you might feel not very comfortable here.

31 Other Employee Reviews for AppDirect (View Most Recent)

Amazing culture, great team!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDirect full-time

Pros

These are just major reasons I like working here, since there are many more:
    - CEOs are focused on building culture. Core values here are very specific, not just feel-good buzz words, geared toward guiding the individual. This is one way the company shows it values the individual and realize that an organization is only as good as its people.
    - One of our core values is Humility, and thanks to which, people have very low ego here. From where I am, haven’t seen much office politics.
    - Everyone I’ve worked with is very good at what they do, friendly and open to discussing new ideas.
    - Upper management are very transparent about what’s happening with business. CEOs host all-hand meeting for the entire company every month and share company results. One all-hand was to go over the result of employee survey, open address raised issues, even if only one person mentioned it.
    - Just started peer mentorship program, a great opportunity for senior team members to help new hires get onboard faster, while improving their leadership skills. We do things based on feedback and need, not because it’s what’s “always done”.
    - Quarterly team rotation gives members some opportunities to work on different kinds of projects
    - Weekly release cycle eases some pressure for deadlines, since it’s not too bad to miss a release for most projects, so haven't experienced too much crunch time.
    - Events group dedicated to hosting fun events every month, e.g. game nights, hikes, happy hour

Cons

- We work with some big partner companies, so there is consistent pressure on some teams to deliver partner projects
    - Team allocation is generally based on project needs, so an individual may not change teams as often as they’d like
    - Some processes still need to be hammered out as team grows, but I'm optimistic it'll improved over time

Continue to focus on building culture and encourage open communication as our team grows.

Inspiring Talent, Well Managed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDirect full-time for less than a year

Pros

The breadth, depth, and diversity of talent at AppDirect is truly inspiring. The company has done a great job of cultivating an environment in which employees are empowered to make informed decisions that follow guiding principles rather than adhering to strict policy. This means that when inspiration strikes, the employee has the opportunity to take well-guided creative risk without feeling boxed-in or hampered. And the high quality of work being produced throughout the company motivates everyone to do their very best.

Great compensation, great benefits, an incredible San Francisco office, and other offices in some of the coolest cities world-wide are all reasons to come to AppDirect.

To put it plainly, this is the best place I've ever worked!

Cons

Not so much a con, but more setting the right expectation:
    This is an environment in which you need to be ready to own your tasks and responsibilities. Things move quickly and everyone has a full plate; be prepared to work. AppDirect isn't a place to settle-in and wait to be told what to do. You will certainly be managed and be assigned tasks, but you will be expected to bring your knowledge, skills, and talent to the table as you complete your tasks in addition to generating new ideas that benefit the company. Of course, doing so will also benefit your career.

Management has done an incredible job of empowering every employee to make decisions that affect their role, work, and piece of the company puzzle, guided by well-designed core values. Maintaining this individual, significant decision-making ability as the company grows will be a challenge.

There are newer employer reviews for AppDirect

Worked for AppDirect? Contribute to the Community!