Values oriented company

Current Employee - Programmer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Programmer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is very values oriented and listening to what employees have to say despite it is already 70+ in size. They recently, for instance, had anonymous survey where you could rate management and various topics completely anonymously and provide feedback. Based on that average rating was between 4-4.5 which is really great taking into account number of people in the company. The company is very schedule-oriented and no matter what hey say they value delivery on schedule in the first place. On upside also is management which is absolutely not intrusive and let you do your job your way as soon as you meet your commitments. They also are very supportive with small requests and whatever makes business sense. Another huge plus is that company is profitable and cover it's expenses with it's revenue unlike vast majority of other startups out there. Also, I like people here and feel like everyone is pretty happy and pleasure to deal with.

Cons

The company is schedule-oriented, so if you prefer to work in more relaxed manner you might feel not very comfortable here.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Best kept secret in San Francisco!

I have been working at AppDirect

Pros

- Has a culture and value system that everybody actually operates on. - Focused on an incredibly large market opportunity. The skies the limit. - Everything is first-class. The company does not cut corners or pinch pennies. - A team that has executed on deployments with some of the largest companies in the world. - Very "under-the-radar" which removes a lot of the misguided hype present in many startups. - Flat organizational structure. Everybody is accessible and willing to help. - Hard not to get excited about the growth the company is experiencing on all fronts.

Cons

- Very complicated platform. Sometimes hard to convey the value proposition. - Being a primarily white-label solution it is hard to grow a strong brand in the general market. - Delivery of product sometimes has a lot of professional services required.

Advice to Management

- Keep focused and executing. - Maintain the strong focus on values and don't compromise.

3 years I won't get back..

Former Employee - ISO in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - ISO in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDirect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Novel concept and leaders in the market, so the company is doing well. Their SF office is amazing, and they dropped a ton of cash to make it impressive. The views are great, free healthy snacks and drinks and free Friday lunches. You get new modern equipment and you'll have all the tools you need to do your job. If you're just out of college or this is your second job, you'll learn a lot and it'll be a good place to earn your stripes. Overall ill value the friends I made there and the new tech I learned. And I think Co-CEO Daniel Saks could develop into a great leader.

Cons

I joined because the VP of Ops, who I worked for, was an amazing leader. I should have seen the red flags when they cut him lose for no reason. I was then moved under the CTO. In 2 years under him, he refused to ever give me a 1 on 1 or a performance review (which are mandatory). Even after sitting down with him the HR to try and resolve those problems, he still refused. Then the Dir of HR quit. Meanwhile I wasn't allow to attend any training, allowed to go to any conventions, renew any of my certs or even have a budget. And this is on top of my doing my job and being on call 24/7 for almost 3 years. Part if the culture is "no ego", but it's really more a "do as I say, not as I do". I gave my employees reviews and even dealt with hiring and firing a few, but my boss couldn't be bothered to do the same. I also felt that I, and other older employees, were treated differently. Several people and I raised this issue with HR, and they told us to stop talking about it. Seriously. Overall the company doesn't just value experience or mentors, they want rock stars and bro's. You'll probably see this as a theme in the other reviews. There is also serious brain drain going on, as the more experienced people bail within a year or two. The kids and Millennials stay - yes it's that kind of company. So if you're career minded, keep moving. If you're just starting out, give it a try. PS. The company "pays" employees to leave gold reviews. Want a free breakfast? Leave a good review. Take from that what you will.

Advice to Management

Put in place a real management structure and fill that vacuum, then give them authority and get out of their way. Let your egos go. Trust in the experience of your employees, to don't hire them in the first place.

AppDirect Response

Jul 23, 2015 – Global Head of Talent

We greatly appreciate your dedication to AppDirect and perseverance as we mature into the organization that we want to be in the future. Your feedback is not taken lightly and hits on a number of ... More