Mixed Bag

I worked at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

There are great perks such as food, chair massage and a lot of happy hours. It's also an exciting atmosphere to be part of a company doing so well.

Cons

Rude, entitled people, unprofessional management/HR & upward movement is a joke. Very wasteful use of money. I honestly don't know how they are doing so well.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Disappointing Culture

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

Based on where you fall, life at AppDynamics can range from 'ok' to 'pretty bad'. However, pending the outcome of the lawsuit with CA Wily, the IPO does seem to be a very real possibility. There are some very good engineers here for the product. As someone already noted, the overwhelmingly positive reviews were a propaganda campaign run by the marketing department in early 2013.

Cons

Extremely political, competitive and chaotic environment, in most cases without any direction. An ugly culture of self-congratulation and one-upmanship. There are many inexperienced and unqualified employees who are emboldened out of sheer ignorance, hired out of desperation to fill the ranks. Outside of the product itself, there seems to be no coherent strategy whatsoever. The sales and marketing team are a caricature of what you would expect to find.

Advice to Management

Maturity will help you in the long-run. Stop rewarding bad behavior. Focus on long-term strategy and genuine employee well-being.

A startup with interesting work and a real business model

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Founder/CEO is a veteran in this market. VP of eng is Adobe veteran who has implemented many positive changes in engineering practices. A rare and delightful business model: we make software, companies pay us to use it, and then buy more because they like it! Great colleagues (I'm in product engineering). Dedicated to making customers successful. The whole team is focused on doing one thing well. Lots of interesting problems for engineering. We are constantly making the company better.

Cons

Fierce competition in this market (but we're doing very well against it). Very few women in engineering. Some startup growing pains.