There are newer employer reviews for AppDynamics

Some great people, but little cross-departmental cooperation; bad managers stay and stay

Current Employee - Senior Level, Non-management in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Level, Non-management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Fantastic product with unbelievable growth potential
- Super smart people at every level
- Decent free food and drinks available at all times; weekly free breakfast and lunch; regular special events

Cons

- Supposed core value of transparency, but good people disappear with no explanation
- Frequent re-orgs cause confusion about roles and workload
- A few managers truly don't "get" the value of their best workers. Some of the highest achievers I know are bummed out every day. Some are looking around for a place where they'll be appreciated (or have already left)
- "Silo" mentality leads to lack of consistent messaging, duplication of efforts

- Get rid of the few folks who block progress instead of facilitating it
- Be aware that there is drama and grousing going on among the ranks - listen and learn from what they are frustrated about

61 Other Employee Reviews for AppDynamics (View Most Recent)

Cronyism at it's best.

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDynamics as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

-AppDynamics is a solid product that has made a big impact on very notable enterprise companies.

Cons

AppDynamics reeks of cronyism - People get promoted and awarded based on their ties with C-Level staff rather than their performance which is why underperformers linger and high achievers often disappear with no explanation.

-Our department seriously lacked leadership and direction. There was no long term strategy or actual management from our Manager, but rather a host short term knee jerk reactions that caused chaos and people being hired just for the sake of hitting a quota. Rising attrition was evidence of this observation, while offer rejection numbers also became increasingly high. Our team went through 15+ seasoned Recruiters in less than a year, most stayed less than 9 months.

-Hiring leadership for my group has an unchecked "lowball" offer strategy, systematically trying to hire veteran candidates at the lowest base salary possible - we lost many many good Candidates to this. I've also personally witnessed my Manager deploy immoral tactics. e.g. He once told a Candidate that he knew people at their current employer, suggesting that if they did not take his offer, their interview could get back to their existing team.

Poor work:life balance - C-Level staff required on-site presence for our group on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve even for teams who had already met and exceeded their year-end goals.

-HR is unwelcoming and does a poor job making their employees feel safe. Sharing concerns is not the route to go, and will actually hinder you. HR point blank advised to cope with the management style or go find a new job.

Unfortunately, based on my experience, AppDynamics is not a healthy working environment. My department grossly lacked honesty, integrity, and meritocracy.

1. As a company that thrives on data, I'd urge you to take a close look at what your Recruiting and HR metrics are saying about your company culture. Hint: Attrition, Offer Rejection

2. Your Recruiting leadership is nonexistent, change it. Your high churn rate of Recruiters makes it impossible to establish a tight partnership with your hiring teams, which is vital to attracting and securing appropriate long term talent.

AppDynamics Response

Jun 5, 2014Head of Talent Acquisition

Companies often hire contract recruiters to support the aggressive growth plan then would scale the number of contract recruiters down when the hiring needs have been met. We can't blame individuals ... More

Senior Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDynamics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great location (close to BART)
    Innovative Culture
    Decent salary

Cons

Young company with inexperience managers and recruiting.
    Some employees take pride in working off hours and on weekends (poor work-life balance).

There are newer employer reviews for AppDynamics