Ability to make significant impact quickly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at AppNexus full-time for less than a year

Pros

You're given the "keys to the castle" very quickly; you're up and running very quickly. There is a high hiring bar so you're given a great amount of responsibility in a relatively short amount of time.

The people that work here are all very nice, approachable and definitely make themselves available to help. With that said, everybody here is very busy, so you need to be proactive when looking for help. You can't wait for somebody to notice you struggling, you need to take the initiative to ask for help.

Time flies here; if you're looking at your watch to see if it's time to leave, you're doing it wrong...There is always impactful work that needs to be done. There's

Great work/life balance...although work days here are not your standard 9-5 (I'm usually here from 8:30 or 9 until about 6:30 or 7), you're not being monitored for "desk time" and you have an immense amount of freedom. Every time I've had something personal spring up unexpectedly I just email my team and they're able to help out with a meeting I was to be in, a call I had scheduled, etc.

The culture here is fantastic as well; I've never been in a company where every team socializes; engineers with sales with HR with finance, etc. It's definitely a unique atmosphere.

Cons

The biggest con I'd say is that you need to be proactive when looking for help; as I mentioned, everybody here is very busy so you absolutely can not wait and hope somebody notices you not understanding things. That said, everybody is more than willing to help, so long as you make it known you're looking for it.

Also, the on-boarding process (which is being re-vamped) is a bit like drinking from the fire-hose. There's a LOT to take in, in a very short amount of time. Having it spread out over a few weeks would be helpful

Make sure the culture can remain intact even with the rapid growth. As a company grows, the culture will change, but the core values should not.

Other Reviews for AppNexus

Intelligent People but Negative Work Culture

I worked at AppNexus full-time

Pros

Become an expert in online advertising theories and concepts in a short period of time. Work at offices abroad for an extended period of time. The office space is very cool. You feel like you are part of a cool, hip company despite being paid below market and receiving minimal equity. You can have all the snacks you want and beer in the office was very common.

Cons

Most were overworked and there was little incentive to share knowledge with others. The work environment was competitive but in the worst way. There is no spirit of camaraderie and teamwork.

Company strategies were poorly communicated and clearly showed lessons were not learned from past experiences.

An elitist culture in which clients were treated condescendingly and as though they were ignorant, did not foster professional growth and development.

Many leaders in the organization are misogynistic especially in Global Services.

Inexperienced hires were mentored by those with inadequate leadership and professional skills. This along with a very fast paced growth has ultimately led to an extremely dysfunctional, hostile work environment. Overall, this organization has created a negative work culture.

Reassess the criteria to promote from within the organization and employee compensation.

Great for entry-level engineers, not so good for intermediate and senior engineers

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at AppNexus full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great company to work for after college but not if you have some experience.

Cons

I had 3 years of experience and had to work long hours on basic tasks that any intern/junior engineer could have done, the reason being that they were short on resources... You should recognize that every company is short on resources, it's just a matter of prioritizing things better. This company has become extremely hierarchical and political. Recent reorg of the company has made a lot of engineers dissatisfied with no prospect for growth. Equity is miniscule. Benefits are not as good as in other companies (less PTO, salary is below par, ...).

Promote from within. Train engineers to become managers instead of hiring middle managers with no or little experience.

There are newer employer reviews for AppNexus.

Worked for AppNexus? Contribute to the Community!