AppNexus
www.appnexus.com New York, NY 500 to 999 Employees

Ability to make significant impact quickly

New York, NY

ProsYou're given the "keys to the castle" very quickly; you're up and running very quickly. There is a high hiring bar so you're given a great amount of responsibility in a relatively short amount of time.

The people that work here are all very nice, approachable and definitely make themselves available to help. With that said, everybody here is very busy, so you need to be proactive when looking for help. You can't wait for somebody to notice you struggling, you need to take the initiative to ask for help.

Time flies here; if you're looking at your watch to see if it's time to leave, you're doing it wrong...There is always impactful work that needs to be done. There's

Great work/life balance...although work days here are not your standard 9-5 (I'm usually here from 8:30 or 9 until about 6:30 or 7), you're not being monitored for "desk time" and you have an immense amount of freedom. Every time I've had something personal spring up unexpectedly I just email my team and they're able to help out with a meeting I was to be in, a call I had scheduled, etc.

The culture here is fantastic as well; I've never been in a company where every team socializes; engineers with sales with HR with finance, etc. It's definitely a unique atmosphere.

ConsThe biggest con I'd say is that you need to be proactive when looking for help; as I mentioned, everybody here is very busy so you absolutely can not wait and hope somebody notices you not understanding things. That said, everybody is more than willing to help, so long as you make it known you're looking for it.

Also, the on-boarding process (which is being re-vamped) is a bit like drinking from the fire-hose. There's a LOT to take in, in a very short amount of time. Having it spread out over a few weeks would be helpful

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the culture can remain intact even with the rapid growth. As a company grows, the culture will change, but the core values should not.

Intelligent People but Negative Work Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AppNexus full-time

Pros: Become an expert in online advertising theories and concepts in a short period of time. Work at offices abroad for an extended period of time.… Cons: Most were overworked and there was little incentive to share knowledge with others. The work environment was competitive but in the worst way. There… Advice to Senior Management: Reassess the criteria to promote from within the organization and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great for entry-level engineers, not so good for intermediate and senior engineers

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

I worked at AppNexus full-time for more than a year

Pros: This is a great company to work for after college… Cons: I had 3 years of experience and had to work long hours on basic tasks that any intern/junior engineer could have done, the reason being… Advice to Senior Management: Promote from within. Train engineers to become managers instead of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on AppNexus.

Worked for AppNexus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AppNexus reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AppNexus CEO Brian O'Kelley. All reviews posted anonymously by AppNexus employees.