There are newer employer reviews for AppNexus

I love working at AppNexus

I have been working at AppNexus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office is huge, open and encourages collaboration.
The people are smart. I've learned more than I ever thought I could from the people I work with. They are also friendly! People are always socializing in the kitchen, cafe and outside of work.
The work is challenging and the days fly by.
Career Development is taken seriously. My role changed after 6 months of working here and I gained a ton of responsibility.
Knowledge and information sharing is a priority here. Our inboxes are flooded with stats about the company, new ideas people are trying, and communication from management.

Cons

It's hard to say. Growth leads to change and change can be hard at times. That being said, working for a growing company isn't a bad thing at all!

As the company grows it's important to maintain the awesome culture that we currently have.

68 Other Employee Reviews for AppNexus (View Most Recent)

Unchallenging work for engineers

I worked at AppNexus

Pros

AppNexus has a lot of smart people. It has free snacks, sodas and a free lunch every Friday.

Cons

AppNexus is not a startup anymore. The organisation has become very hierarchical and political.
    Most of the tasks in engineering consist of maintenance.
    I have 4 years of experience and a master degree from a reputable university and during those last 18 months at AppNexus, I was working on fixing bugs and on maintenance tasks that any fresh grads could have easily done. Strangely enough, one fifth of my time was dedicated to interview fresh grad candidates.
    The career evolution for engineers is quite limited if not nonexistent.
    Most of the managing and architect positions are filled by persons outside the company.
    Since the recent reorg, the number of managers is outgrowing the number of engineers and the engineers are just becoming a commodity. It's not rare to get contradictory tasks or to have to
    rollback changes that required several weeks to implement.

The stock options are very tiny and do not compensate for the salary cut (below average) that I took when I joined.

Try to keep engineers motivated by allowing them to use their skills and creativity instead of limiting their work scope to code writing.
    Make sure that they have the opportunity to learn new things regularly and to work on challenging tasks.

I think AppNexus is going to do well but they will need to find a better way to manage projects.

Typical Startup

I worked at AppNexus full-time

Pros

Great environment for younger people. Lots of energy. Interesting technology and interesting problems. Lots of room for growth and new experience.

Cons

Very political and cliquish. Core group of people that came from Right Media that are all buddies. Managers lack experience and threatened by suggestions. Know-it-all culture where saying you don't know something is a weakness. Decisions happen through conflict with a clear winner rather than collaboration and consensus. Can't handle constructive criticism, seen as a threat. Poor communication within teams and with other teams (unless your in the clique). Poor work/life balance.

If your people are working 90 hour weeks you're doing it wrong. Focus on streamlining and improving communication instead of hiring more bodies, there's a reason your turn over is so high.

There are newer employer reviews for AppNexus