There are newer employer reviews for Appalachian Mountain Club

Passionate employees supporting an essential mission.

I worked at Appalachian Mountain Club

Pros

Passionate employees supporting an essential mission.

Cons

Low salaries lead to employee's leaving.

Increase salaries to retain employees.

reviews filtered by
  1. A great organization with some expanding pains

I worked at Appalachian Mountain Club

Pros

Multi-faceted work in beautiful outdoor locations. Chance to learn many different skills. Good opportunities for advancement to management. Occasional free swag. Wonderful social and networking opportunities. Sense of fun and pride among staff.

Cons

Meager pay. Lack of transparency within company headquarters. Recent expansion efforts seem to be badly affecting the spirit of the organization. Not many career opportunities.

The accord between seasonal and senior staff must improve. In addition, employee benefits should not be slashed, as the pay is already quite low.

2. Still Love It Here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues who are smart and talented and driven. Lots of amazing initiatives to improve what we're doing, inside and out. Benefits reflect the culture and values. Emphasis - in office culture and in our work - on families and enjoying the outdoors. Quirky old office on Beacon Hill (centrally located, homey feel). Though not everyone has felt this way, I feel I have both responsibility and agency in my role - this has not always been the case in previous positions.

Cons

Busy times get really busy with a small staff. Be prepared to wear many hats, share space and tough it through leaner times. This seems to be the case for many nonprofits, but it's worth mentioning. Quirky old office on Beacon Hill (it's three brownstones joined by a web of stairs - there are downsides). We're never outdoors as much as we'd like to be. It can be hard to affect change.

More professional development opportunities like the ones offered recently. Keep listening when we say we can't do more with less - sometimes we're already at rock-bottom in more than one way.

There are newer employer reviews for Appalachian Mountain Club