There are newer employer reviews for Appalachian Underwriters

BEWARE...This place is hands down the most corrupt, back biting, unprofessional place I have ever experienced.

Former Employee - WC Claims Adjuster  in  Oak Ridge, TN
Former Employee - WC Claims Adjuster in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time for less than a year

Pros

Honestly, I have no pros as I knew I had made a huge mistake leaving my previous job within around 3 weeks of being employed here.

Cons

Micro managed, lack of diversity, completely unprofessional, back biting, constant drama and gossip, sabotage, and undermining any attempts you may make to have a "normal" work environment. I wish someone would have told me better so do yourself a service go elsewhere to retain your happiness and that of your family.

The WC department needs to be overhauled beginning with the supervisor. Also, the supervisor should be training the employees not placing that responsibility on an adjuster with less than 1 year of experience who does nothing but spread negativity about the company and all co-workers beginning your first day. I witnessed the supervisor have this employee hack co workers emails, going through their files, and basically create an all out campaign to get rid of anyone she didn't want there. The supervisor would use the employee so that if it came to light what was being done she could throw that person under the bus instead of being blamed herself. As long as you run your business in this matter you will not be able to keep quality employees as they will be run out because not many people can deal with the environment for very long no matter how much money you pay them and even that is just average. I could go on and on, but honestly I don't see much changing as the management seems to uphold the very behavior that I have described.

22 Other Employee Reviews for Appalachian Underwriters (View Most Recent)

At best, a stepping stone to something - and somewhere - else.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're a man & you like football, chances are you'll do fine. It also helps if you're a local. If you're none of these, maybe not the company for you.

Cons

Here we have a company very set in its ways. This is East Tennessee and, because of that, corporate culture isn't very corporate. While not quite Good Ole Boys, the upper tiers of management appear to be staffed by family & friends of family.

HR policies appeared to be an afterthought. Ditto job descriptions. 401(k) match was worse than most other firms I've worked for. Healthcare through Blue Cross/Shield, pretty standard/ poor. 3 months before benefits kick in; what am I supposed to do until then?

Insurance knowledge or expertise was secondary consideration when hiring which is especially worrying when hiring underwriters. Create any waves and you're very quickly a 'poor fit' for the companies' 'values' and 'culture', attributes that are never explained.

Hire some people from outside the local populace who have Fortune 500 experience. It has to help.

I was hired an hour after my interview and less than 2 weeks later was told that I didn't fit the company culture.

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time for less than a year

Pros

The facilities are nice. The shift is standard 8-5. Surprisingly most of the mid-level managers are excellent people and supervisors.

Cons

Family owned, people with lack of professional experience and training make major decisions, no focus on HR, poor incentive, poor training, No structured job appraisal or performance analysis system. The owners of the company do not even follow the procedures and policies that they placed in their employee handbook. Lack of internal consistency throughout the organization.

I would advise them to select people for jobs and not hire. I would also suggest to them to invest in proper recruiting sources and not rely on Craigslist. The parent owners have no business in the building. They lack the knowledge of how a modern workforce operates. They really need to retire and stay out of the business. The VP, also related to the owners, has little tact and business acumen.

There are newer employer reviews for Appalachian Underwriters

Worked for Appalachian Underwriters? Contribute to the Community!