Keep doing what you are doing, and learn along the way too

I worked at Appcelerator

Pros

These are some of the best engineers I've ever worked with in mobile development. If I was starting my own company these are the people I'd contact first because they are the the top-notch best-of-breed engineers. I'm not going to mention any names but you know who I am talking about here.

Cons

It's hard because a lot of the key employees are located remotely. But this is what you have to do to hire good people.

Hire more of your friends because these are the only people you can trust

Other Reviews for Appcelerator

Great product, huge potential

I have been working at Appcelerator full-time

Pros

The mobile space is growing exponentially, and Appcelerator boasts one of the top products to service this market. Exciting times ahead!

Cons

Can be hectic, with fire drills when your group becomes a focal point, but that tends to be the result of aggressive goal setting, which is an admirable trait.

execute

Turned south when company stopped caring for its engineers

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Appcelerator full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Great engineering team, with some of the smartest people I have worked with.
    2. Have opportunity to learn and be exposed to many different technologies: iOS/Android/Windows/BlackBerry/... native platform, JavaScript/Java/Object-C/... as languages, then you have IDE/Cloud/...;
    3. Hot space and you feel you're right in the middle of the mobile wave and contributing;
    4. Very good kitchen, fully stocked.

Cons

Unfortunately, even with all these positives, all those great engineers have been leaving left and right after the company stopped caring for them and turned the culture completely into sale-focused instead of engineering-focused. When engineering team delivered a massive release with tons of new features, the executive team would focus on the misses instead and hardly celebrate the accomplishments, but when sales missed their numbers (consistently), they simply lowered the projection and still went on trips and handed out awards. At one time, the end of year bonus for each person on the team was $25 Amazon gift certificate. The compensation is also not competitive in today's Silicon Valley market, and there were no mentions of salary raise until one decided to leave. The morale of whole engineering team was consistently low when keeping people feel energized should have not been difficult with the built-in positives.

Engineering is the heart-and-soul of any tech companies, so treat them with respect and care for them.

There are newer employer reviews for Appcelerator.

Worked for Appcelerator? Contribute to the Community!