Great Corporate Culture, Sub-par Benefits and Growth Opportunities

Current Employee - Professional Services in Reston, VA
Current Employee - Professional Services in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time

Pros

The corporate culture is great! Most people are young, friendly and a lot of fun to work with. Everyone they hire is smart, but never brags about it. The software is very interesting and has a lot of potential. They train incoming employees thoroughly to ensure that we are useful almost immediately. The management works hard to place each employee on a project based on their skills and their personal needs. They always are your advocate in tough client situations. Additionally, the holiday party and corporate retreat are very enjoyable and well-done.

Cons

The benefits and salary are low compared to the industry standard. This would be less of a problem if there were opportunities for raises or bonuses, but the only way to get a raise is to get promoted. For a certain professional services position, there are employees ranging from mid-20's to mid-30's who all get the exact same compensation regardless of tenure at Appian. Some of the project managers are underqualified and certainly less competent than others who have a lower position. Also, the founders are generally cold and seem to lack social skills.

Advice to Management

Build the brand, be more personable, offer monetary rewards for excellent performance and consider giving raises, even just to keep up with inflation.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Some of the smartest people I've worked with

I worked at Appian

Pros

Strong culture of individual contribution and high achievement. Lots of opportunity for personal growth and broad exposure to technical marketing and consulting. High recruiting standards- many of my best friends are the brilliant and fun people that overlapped with my career at Appian.

Cons

Struggled to retain talent- employee retention was not a priority and turnover was high.

I was there for a year and wouldn't go back

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Vienna, VA

I worked at Appian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some people working there are fun

Cons

Benefits were cut (company cruise, Friday perks). Salaries well below the average for industry and the area. Paralysis by analysis on tech side. And side projects/indie time never happened

Advice to Management

Remove non-tech managers from tech positions. It's killing your employees

Appian Response

Oct 20, 2014 – CTO & Co-founder

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Appian and wish you well in the future. To clarify, however, benefits have not been cut, they are increasing all the time. We recently added tuition ... More