There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Fun but busy

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store)
Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store)

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Apple takes care of its employees. Full time workers receive health benefits, all employees are offered stock options and very good prices on previous generation apple products. You are also very busy which helps make a 9 hour shift go by very fast. Free training on device repair and apple software.

Cons

Customers can be rude and policy for the most part is to give them anything they want. Very long hours especially during busy seasons. Pay could be better given the success of the company. Hiring/training process is long and very stringent

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, they are the heart of your retail operation and most are very devoted to the company. Don't let NPP slip, customers are what make apple the company that it is.

reviews filtered by
  1. The best of the best

I worked at Apple

Pros

Excellent leadership
    Great and innovative products

Cons

There really is no negative about working here!

Advice to Management

Steve Jobs has obviously done more than just turn the company around but the rest of the management behind him are stars that'll keep AAPL an investor's delight for a loooong time.

IT IS RETAIL NOT A CAREER

Former Employee - Specialist
    Former Employee - Specialist

I worked at Apple

Pros

Really great people for the most part. I met some great friends. The discount was ok I guess but that is not much of a perk especially when we can't get an iPad discount for 6 months after the product was released. The training was good and I learned a lot about Apple products. Good benefits if you can get management to put you as full time and get them. Freedom to have your own style. Great technology for training and of course Easy Pays. People think its cool that you work for Apple.

Cons

Dishonesty. Management plays games with you and tells you you will have all these career opportunities and that you can get promoted. It is a lie, its all about putting your time in.

I was a top performer and so were many others that I know that have since left. If you have talent this place is frustrating. They don't care about performance they care about who they like and who has been there the longest.

If you want to be in management you must be brought in as a manager. It will take you YEARS to become a manager starting as a specialist no matter how good you are. All my managers came from Gap or Starbucks with zero product knowledge. Many with very little management experience even. I have a college degree in Business Management and they brought in a manager with no education from Starbucks and put them over me. This person had managed at Starbucks for a year.

Managers are not really managers. They are schedule makers and schedule keepers. They simply make the schedules and send people on break and lunch. They do not chart profitability, inventory or any thing that requires skill.

The hours are terrible. You have to keep an open schedule if you want to work there full time. That means you can be scheduled from as early as 5am during holiday, to 3am to do overnight. Or in NY they have a 24 hour store I just feel sorry for them.

The pay is embarrassing. I personally sold over 1 million dollars worth of product last year. I did not get a raise. I did not get a bonus. I got a small roll up blanket at Christmas that fell apart the first time I washed it. Oh ya and my pay was $23,000 while living in Northern California where rent is about 1200 for a 2 bedroom. You do the math. All of this while Apple just became the most valuable company in the world.

I am not writing this because I am bitter. I am actually quite happy. I have since left Apple and I am making great money doing something I love. I simply wrote this to hopefully give people an accurate detailed description of what it is really like to work for Apple. Also I hope the people in Cupertino that are in charge of Retail development read this as well because I know from working with them that they are clueless to what really goes on in the store. Your customer service rating will go down and you will lose business because people who are talented will not stay in an environment with no opportunity.

I see so many people who fall into the propaganda and think they will some day work for corporate or get into management. It is a fantasy. If you are thinking I just worked at 1 store that must have been a bad one, actually I worked at 2 and observed others. They are all like this.

Advice to Management

Look at who really has talent and figure out a way to promote from within. You destroy the morale of the employees when people from the outside are brought in over those who have talent and have put in a lot of hard work and want that position. Why not reward those who you already know and have invested in rather than strangers off the street.

There are newer employer reviews for Apple