There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Not flexible or understanding.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Pays enough.
Really customer oriented. I really value my time with each customer trying to help them out with their needs.

Cons

Could pay more.
Needs to be more sympathetic to full time students. They are terrible with being flexible with school schedules.
The sheer amount of employees can be overwhelming. I feel like I'm in high school again.
The type of employees Apple attracts can be annoying as well. If I wanted to go to Williamsburg to see a bunch of hipsters, I would have.

Pay is what any retail store in the city SHOULD be. So, the fact that Apple is doing rather well lately the pay could be higher.
If an employee shows interest in growing within the company and looks to move into corporate using his education, listen and help them out so that can happen.

reviews filtered by

Great company, but thinking different discouraged

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Apple

Pros

To a large extent, Apple is amazing. I was within the tech support call center management, and both my employees and my coworkers were brilliant and amazing. The "bosses" tend to also be great people, with an occasional (albeit notable) exception. They do respect work/life balance, and there's a hefty program for development in terms of you career within the company. On the corporate side, there's also intangible benefits like "casual attire" (namely, don't come to work naked), monthly parties (with and without alcohol), an on-site gym, etc.

Cons

The biggest problem I found was that the dedication to secrecy that Apple is known for is disseminated down to the lowest positions. There were multiple times were we weren't given enough information to adequately prepare for our jobs, or prepare for product releases. I also found that if you wanted to give feedback to decision-makers, your feedback was generally treated like you were a cute child, with a head-pat as they sent you along your way. Sometimes it felt like Apple was torn between wanting to reinvent the wheel every time a new decision came up, and going with a super-corporate, super-strict method that works in other companies, but not with the type of person that Apple has historically hired.

My biggest piece of advice to management would be to not only solicit feedback from employees, but actually listen to it. Even if it costs a bit more money to implement the feedback, the benefit of happy employees will vastly increase their productivity, and decrease the turnover. In short, don't just pay lip service to employee feedback. Also, when making decisions that fundamentally alter peoples' lives, whether it be their day-to-day lives (such as their work schedule), or their lives as a whole (changing benefits, etc.), give people plenty of advanced warning. At least two months is needed for even fairly minor day-to-day life changes.

2. Great in the beginning

Former Employee - Creative (Apple Store) in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Creative (Apple Store) in San Jose, CA

I worked at Apple

Pros

Discount. The Pay is great for retail. Vacation time. Ability to try out new product before anyone else. Free software.

Cons

At first it was amazing. Now its turned into the GAP. it is retail and i understand that but make it fun again. don't concentrate on numbers give employees development help them grow ... let us wear flip flops n have a lot of earrings. bring the old apple back.

Forget about MobileMe one 2 one and apple care.. each of these will sell if the customer needs. make sure every employee leads. send them to apple corporate no matter the cost it is worth it to build up and give them a sense of pride. offer a proper exchange into apple corporate. Give your employees incentive to move to corporate and hire more of them. Apples stopped growing because you are taking people from microsoft and other companies that know nothing of the ideologies that once made apple amazing..

There are newer employer reviews for Apple