There are newer employer reviews for Apple

I learned quite a bit of information and how to talk to people, but raises and promotions after 3 were next to nothing.

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store)  in  Louisville, KY
Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Louisville, KY

I worked at Apple

Pros

People seem to respect the fact that you work for Apple. Apple trains its employees how to communicate well with people. Diverse people to work with. Decent discounts, not great! Health insurance is decent. Guaranteed 15min breaks and lunches. They used to work really well with Part-time employee scheduling, but right before I left they were cracking down on wanting employees to work more without added benefits. On launch days, food and drink was provided for staff.

Cons

Even though I had a very high percentage of sales in certain areas and they gave me praise I never got promoted. One reason stated by a manager was that I was doing to well in the area that I was in so and they couldn't afford to lose me to another area of the store, ie. Genius. I then asked for a raise and only annual raises are given...A mere .45 cents. Work almost full-time hours without the full-time pay or benefits. For a company that is the most profitable in the world, you would think they would kick back a bit more for their employees.

Apple needs to figure out a better way to get the message across to customers on how the store operates. I spent so much time getting yelled at by unsatisfied customers because they didn't know they were suppose to check in or where to purchase an item. They greatly need to increase the staff for the amount of traffic each store receives on a daily basis. This understaffing lead to many unsatisfied customers taking it out on employees which in turn make for a very trying day, which turns into every work day.

Don't hire people off the streets when someone has been working in the store and is qualified for the position/promotion. Promote with-in when employees are performing to above satisfactory expectations. Learn how to keep the staff happy. When morale goes down people tend to hate their job and look elsewhere. Our particular store lost about 20 people in 2 weeks and 2 months later had lost aprx. 35-40 people total. That is a sign of bad management!

3764 Other Employee Reviews for Apple (View Most Recent)

Cog in the wheel

Former Employee - Named Accounts Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Named Accounts Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Apple

Pros

Best benefits out there, the discount is pretty slick and hey, you work for Apple.

Cons

I worked retail at Best Buy and didn't feel so much as a cog as I did at Apple. In retail, you can progress quickly and do well and be recognised. At Apple Corporate, I knew people who'd been in the same middle-management job for 15 years. In a company growing at the rate of Apple, that's frightening.

Couple that with the compartmentalisation within Apple and it's hard to move around or up. People get too specialised and therefore, stuck.

Not flexible or understanding.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Pays enough.
    Really customer oriented. I really value my time with each customer trying to help them out with their needs.

Cons

Could pay more.
    Needs to be more sympathetic to full time students. They are terrible with being flexible with school schedules.
    The sheer amount of employees can be overwhelming. I feel like I'm in high school again.
    The type of employees Apple attracts can be annoying as well. If I wanted to go to Williamsburg to see a bunch of hipsters, I would have.

Pay is what any retail store in the city SHOULD be. So, the fact that Apple is doing rather well lately the pay could be higher.
    If an employee shows interest in growing within the company and looks to move into corporate using his education, listen and help them out so that can happen.

There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!