There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Things aren't as great as they seem from the outside.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Apple

Pros

The people I work with are the redeeming quality about this job. Without having great co-workers, it wouldn't be manageable. The benefits are also fantastic.

Cons

The amount of stress and over crowding that goes on in the store because it's so small and we have so much influx of clients on top of the amount of employees is a bit much. Corporate keeps denying a bigger store but we break fire code daily. All of this on top of angry customers makes for a very poor workplace. They seem to hire whoever for whatever. Experience doesn't matter and new hires tend to get paid more than the people who have been there for years.
They hold so much emphasis on growth and helping you to move up in the company but they do nothing to back it up, mostly because they are always "too busy."

Focusing on what is said will be done would be a huge improvement. Having the store leader work in the store I think would give them a better idea of how things really are. As business increases and cost of living goes up a pay increase to help keep the employees happy would go a long way.

3758 Other Employee Reviews for Apple (View Most Recent)

I learned quite a bit of information and how to talk to people, but raises and promotions after 3 were next to nothing.

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store)  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Louisville, KY

I worked at Apple

Pros

People seem to respect the fact that you work for Apple. Apple trains its employees how to communicate well with people. Diverse people to work with. Decent discounts, not great! Health insurance is decent. Guaranteed 15min breaks and lunches. They used to work really well with Part-time employee scheduling, but right before I left they were cracking down on wanting employees to work more without added benefits. On launch days, food and drink was provided for staff.

Cons

Even though I had a very high percentage of sales in certain areas and they gave me praise I never got promoted. One reason stated by a manager was that I was doing to well in the area that I was in so and they couldn't afford to lose me to another area of the store, ie. Genius. I then asked for a raise and only annual raises are given...A mere .45 cents. Work almost full-time hours without the full-time pay or benefits. For a company that is the most profitable in the world, you would think they would kick back a bit more for their employees.

Apple needs to figure out a better way to get the message across to customers on how the store operates. I spent so much time getting yelled at by unsatisfied customers because they didn't know they were suppose to check in or where to purchase an item. They greatly need to increase the staff for the amount of traffic each store receives on a daily basis. This understaffing lead to many unsatisfied customers taking it out on employees which in turn make for a very trying day, which turns into every work day.

Don't hire people off the streets when someone has been working in the store and is qualified for the position/promotion. Promote with-in when employees are performing to above satisfactory expectations. Learn how to keep the staff happy. When morale goes down people tend to hate their job and look elsewhere. Our particular store lost about 20 people in 2 weeks and 2 months later had lost aprx. 35-40 people total. That is a sign of bad management!

Cog in the wheel

Former Employee - Named Accounts Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Named Accounts Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Apple

Pros

Best benefits out there, the discount is pretty slick and hey, you work for Apple.

Cons

I worked retail at Best Buy and didn't feel so much as a cog as I did at Apple. In retail, you can progress quickly and do well and be recognised. At Apple Corporate, I knew people who'd been in the same middle-management job for 15 years. In a company growing at the rate of Apple, that's frightening.

Couple that with the compartmentalisation within Apple and it's hard to move around or up. People get too specialised and therefore, stuck.

There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!