Apple

www.apple.com
  www.apple.com
There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Great corporate benefits, but the same Call Center position like anywhere else

Former Employee - At-Home Advisor - College Program
Former Employee - At-Home Advisor - College Program

I worked at Apple

Pros

-Benefits: I was a part of the College Program, so we worked 20 hours minimum and still get good benefits because we are under Corporate
-Work at home. Yes, we do work out of home, although that is a bit of a con as well.
-Apple Brand Name: except when you say you work for Tech Support.

Cons

- Pay: really low compared to industry standards, no negotiation regardless of experience - $10/hour range. I took it as I wanted to gain experience and thought very highly of Apple
- Hours: they say its "flexible" but in reality its not. They work around your school schedule but otherwise you might get 6AM shift one day and a 9PM shift the next, can really mess your life up.
- Management: MICROMANAGED to the extreme. Your computer screen is monitored, you keep a log everytime you get up to use the restroom, basically like a typical call center from home.
- Customers: its not the Tech Savvy young people who call you, its the less experienced crowd who does not know the difference between a Mac and a PC, or how to turn on the phone, etc. You will get yelled at because you can't provide free support, you also have to sell AppleCare packages every month to hit your quota (yep, phone sales!)
- Technology: You get an iMac to use at home, the soft phone and iLog (call logging system) breaks most of the time. You have to log everytime an error happens if you miss one your Manager would just blame you..
- WORK LIFE BALANCE + HEALTH: be warned, if you occur 3 sick days in 6 months, you are OUT. Yes, you get fired for occurring 3 "incidences" - which includes seeing doctor, if you're sick, or just need PTO. Vacation gets approved half the time if you plan really early, but only in certain months like October or Feb.

-Have all the managers get on the phones too and actually experience it. They manage and critique you at every turn. At one point we had people called "Time Cops" who just trolls you (yes, that is the best way to describe it) by chatting you if you spend even 1 minute over between each call that we are supposed to log notes. This job is great for those who respect Apple to the point they are willing to be stepped on. Even a company as dynamic as Apple can't have dream jobs at a call center. I have finished school since, quit this job before my 1 year contract, and moved on to a full-time position.

Again, this is just for students considering the "Call Center" position they call an "Advisor". I am sure the REAL jobs at HQ or even Retail is better, if not a dream job for many out there. Just my experience strictly in this position! :)

4108 Other Employee Reviews for Apple (View Most Recent)

Exiting, demanding and questioning

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Unique company culture, actually effective in daily business.
    Pride in what we do and how we do it.
    A lot human thinking and knowledge —positive values— go in our products. It can be truely beautiful.
    A lot to learn from the ability this company has to focus and to stick to a direction.

Cons

Very demanding. Burn out danger.
    Less proud of Apple's greed, too apparent on several levels. Makes it harder to relate to other (and real) Apple values.
    Not much of a career path.
    We have the hardest time to let go of our arrogance.

Remember what your employee, customers and even products are about: human values. Not just money. Tim may get us there.

Eye Opening.

Current Employee - Specialist
    Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Great people, Great Product, Extremely friendly coworkers, and stellar customer service. I would recommend this job to College students and Artsy types.

Cons

Not enough staff members to help everyone. Customers feel extremely entitled, to the point where they are blatantly disrespectful to the employees who are doing their best to help them out.

Stop cutting part time hours! Be a little more understanding when the employees have personal family issues.

There are newer employer reviews for Apple