Incredibly reliable

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Cupertino, CA
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple

Pros

It is just a really fun place to work where you get to use and sell the latest and greatest consumer technology of any company in the world. You get to sell product that are genuine and that you know are the best of their kind. Everyone uses a handheld cash register to ring people up on the spot. Just about everyone you work with is extremely friendly. There is an energy in the store unlike anything I have ever seen, like everyone is just so happy to be there, employees and customers alike. There are always customers bustling in and out of the stores, sometimes to many to handle, but you never feel intimidated. You actually feel like you can help everyone in the store with what they need. There is no commission, which is a good thing for three reasons. First, so there is no competition between you and other employees, everyone works together to answer the customer's questions and get them what they need. Second, you don't have to be pushy when trying to sell a customer something, which allows you to almost build a relationship with the customer. There are various customers who will come in now and say, "Hey, how are you doing? How's your family? I'm doing great, my Mac runs wonderful." Third, there are no goals to meet every week or month. Sure, you try to do your best, but you are not going to go home hungry or get reprimanded if you don't, which is so nice, and lets us be laid back and casual while still being productive.

Cons

If you are hired at, lets say $10 an hour, six months later, another employee can be hired at $10.50 an hour for the exact same position, and you won't get a raise because of that. Basically the person with less experience will get paid more just for getting hired later. When you argue with the higher management, they will deny it even happening, even if you show them your pay rate against another person's pay rate. Also, you would think that because one works for Apple, one would know when new products are going to come out before the public. Sadly, no. Apple runs around employees with the same amount of secrecy as it does with the general public. And a major turnoff is we as employees are not allowed to speculate at all about possible future Apple products and software. If you do, you face getting fired.

Senior Management needs to stop being so transparent. When a decision is made, they don't even have an opinion about it. They just follow orders like a brainless Nazi. e.g.: We ring everybody up with handheld registers, and there are no signs to tell people of this. So people wander aimlessly, some get angry, some get frustrated and leave. My natural first instinct is, "Oh, put up a sign that says what to do." Upper management will say, "We have to do what Apple tell us to do." I'll say, "But don't you think that's dumb not to have any signs. If I was a customer, I would want signs to tell me where I have to go." Upper management stiffly says, "Apple tells us what to do, we have to do it." I say, "Yes, but don't you have an opinion in the matter?" Management says, "No, I don't get paid to have an opinion, I have to follow what Apple tells me." Other than that, the management is very friendly and awesome.

Other Reviews for Apple

Inept senior management ruins a fantastic job experience.

Current Employee - Concierge  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Concierge in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apple

Pros

As a company, Apple is probably one of the greatest places you will ever find to work. The environment is extremely casual and as a whole, morale is consistently high. There are very few jobs where you can literally wear whatever you want every day, and you will be hard pressed to find a more exciting place. The pay is great compared to similar jobs at other companies, and they are supposed to hire within the company first for promotions rather than hiring in outside work, so job security is relatively stable. The customers are enthusiastic and excited about the products, so if you share the passion, work is always very fun. Most days, your shift is over before you know it.

Cons

Lately, Apple has had a bad habit of hiring management from other retail ventures and these managers do not understand how to function properly within the Apple environment. Numbers are a big part of the game and some managers judge you based on your numbers, regardless of how good or bad your customer service skills and knowledge of the product is. Like any other retail job, some stores have better management teams than others. Generally, the stores run by internal Apple management, that is, ones who started out at a lower level and worked their way up, tend to have a more satisfying work environment.

Less micromanaging, learn about the products and customers and pay attention to the feedback your team is giving you. Stop playing favorites and give promotions to people who deserve them.

Great place to learn about making great consumer products but not about personal and professional development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Apple employes some fantastic people who are smart and hard working. The company is growing and continues to do well. From a brand standpoint, there are few better companies to work if you are in the tech/consumer products industry. Getting to work on exciting and successful products is a privilege. The culture is innovative and entrepreneurial. No bureaucracy or red tape in the way of getting things done.

Cons

Little empowerment from senior management. Little investment into personal and professional development. Meritocratic only to the extent that someone above you leaves (which happens infrequently). Politics can be nightmarish. Internal secrecy often conflicts with knowledge sharing and collaboration. Lack of process and structure. Need to aggressively manage your own career or you can end up staying in the same place forever.

Empower your employees. Take risks with them. Invest in them. Push them to become better people and employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Apple.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!