There are newer employer reviews for Apple

College backup

Former Employee - Specialist in Glendale, AZ
Former Employee - Specialist in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cool products and awesome staff. This is perfect for current college students. Great benefits.

Cons

No commission, poor career growth, bad pay. They hire 90% of their managers externally! Good luck working your way up. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone with ambition or a degree.

Be real with your subordinates. A $.50 raise is nothing to get excited about. In the end, this is not a career; this is underemployment.

3894 Other Employee Reviews for Apple (View Most Recent)

Here's To The Crazy Ones Indeed

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Lyndhurst, OH
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Lyndhurst, OH

I worked at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people that you work with tend to be top notch individuals from varied backgrounds who all have something to contribute (management excluded). The discounts on Apple products are phenomenal and the benefits (health insurance, free software etc) are just great.

Cons

While Apple says that they strive to provide a decent work/life balance, in my experience this was not practiced, just preached. The schedules are INSANE!! With over 100 employees at the retail location where I worked I couldn't believe that management had no way of avoiding employees having to do a "clopen". A "clopen" for those that don't know is when you close one night and open the next day with absolutely no time for sleep or to conduct personal business. Management tries to schedule employees in such a manner that you work 7 hours and 45 minutes. That way you only get one 15 minute break and 30 minutes for lunch. Another 15 minutes on the clock gets you an extra 15 and one hour for lunch. The stores are crowded and have become daycares at malls for parents who don't want to manage their children. When I started (Steve Jobs was still CEO) the focus of the job was on the customer, not on the sale or attachments (AppleCare, OneToOne). If you did your job you would hit the metrics you were expected to. Post Jobs, that all changed. It became just like any other electronics retailer. Get the customer in and out as fast as you can and badger them until they buy AppleCare or OneToOne. Apple always said that the metrics (attachments of AppleCare etc) were based on customers actual buying habits, but when AppleCare Plus was introduced with the iPhone 4S the metric jumped from 40% to 65% attachment rate! Apple had no prior data to base this on and caused a lot of problems for employees who normally excelled in their roles to have a hard time.

Advancing in the company is a whole other matter. You are told when you are hired that hitting your metrics and having a good NPS (Net Promoter. Surveys used to gauge customer satisfaction) score would help you advance, I found that not to be the case. If you fit the image (skinny jeans, glasses, alternative lifestyle and clothing etc) you have a shot. But if you are a woman, overweight, intelligent, know what you are talking about etc... you will go nowhere. People with little to no experience with computer repair, troubleshooting etc are always promoted, and many are hired to higher paying positions from outside the company.

I gave my heart and soul to Apple. I loved it for a while, but as they say "All good things".

Get your heads out of your rears and worry about your employees, not your bonuses. I'm willing to bet that with more Management/Employee communication and respect the stores would run better and those management bonuses would go up even higher. Listen to your employees, don't just give them the "I appreciate your feedback" line and forget about it.

Red Zone not appreciated, no commissions

Former Employee - Red Zone in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Red Zone in Houston, TX

I worked at Apple part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts are good, but limited.

Cons

Managers play favorites and create Hell for nonfavorites

Get real, get out of LaLa land

There are newer employer reviews for Apple