Apple

www.apple.com

Being a manager can be like working in a mad house

Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager  in  Cupertino, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Very smart people, 95% of them super dedicated to the company. Amazing products that the world loves. Feels great to work someplace where you can be so proud of what you are creating and under such a recognizable brand. People are pushing technologies not for the latest fad but for rational reasons.

I loved, loved, loved working with so many smart engineers who knew their stuff, and who demanded the best from others.

Campus has a great energy, food and other benefits are great.

Cons

There are some sociopathic managers at this company who I observed trying to manipulate others just for the pleasure of cruelty. There are some deeply insecure managers holding grudges and trying to get revenge for perceived slights. Honestly, the politics of this place were overwhelming to me. Maybe only 20% of the managers were what I would call "sick minds", the rest were honest and sincere, but it was too much for me. I can't play those sorts of games and I had to get out. Sometimes you don't even know that you are playing a game until afterwards.

This is an old company and has a lot of legacy code around. Being innovative often means ignoring glaring problems that have been around for 5 - 10 years. That is kind of painful if you care about quality.

I saw some happy managers and I concluded in the end that it was luck of the draw. If you got thrown into the lion pit you might escape or might get torn to shreds. Some managers never got thrown into the lion pit and were able to do well, so if you are considering working there you may get lucky. No one is going to help you out, though.

Definitely better to be an engineer than a manager at Apple, IMO.

Keep cleaning house.

Tim Cook recently fired one famous sociopath, who was taking credit for others' achievements and attacking others for perceived slights. I never had to work with him directly, but he is a good proxy for others I'd prefer to not name. But it made me very happy to see that Tim Cook is cleaning house a bit. I think Apple will improve by getting rid of the insecure and machiavellian ladder climbers.

Apple is awesome because it is one company. Don't tolerate the silo makers.

Other reviews for Apple

Taught me so much, but was discarded like a piece of trash at the end.

Current Employee - Creative (Apple Store)  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Creative (Apple Store) in New York, NY

Pros

Amazing People
    Good Training
    Great Benefits
    Its Like Bootcamp for real corporate america

Cons

Management is useless and has no mind of their own. they follow a script that apple corporate tells them to read!

Grow some back bone, stop being afraid of losing your jobs. Protect your employess. Bring apple back to a community. Not a shark tank!

Never Ever think to Join Apple IS&T Department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Pros

You will learn multi vendor culture, offshore onsite co-ordination, in terms of technology mostly focus would be on Java/J2EE & COCOA but lot java scripting.

Cons

Very hectic work schedule.

Offshore onsite model just kill your social life , day & night.

Apple just pay $X amount of USD to vendor for resource and expect brilliant resources, software vendor giants like TCS, Infosys, Wipro, Cognizant are smart enough to put one good resource with 5 okay kinda resources and Apple is happy.

Manager's just try and overload the vendors with multiple projects & create lot of pressure on vendors.

IS&T department is worst, you can not complain about your immediate manager to Apple Management as there is no such rule or listening.

Total chaos across multiple teams.

Think about vendors also, don't treat them as commodity, Vendors are also human being.
    Set up some escalation mechanism for vendors to complain against Apple manager too.

There are newer employer reviews for Apple.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!