There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Being a manager can be like working in a mad house

Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very smart people, 95% of them super dedicated to the company. Amazing products that the world loves. Feels great to work someplace where you can be so proud of what you are creating and under such a recognizable brand. People are pushing technologies not for the latest fad but for rational reasons.

I loved, loved, loved working with so many smart engineers who knew their stuff, and who demanded the best from others.

Campus has a great energy, food and other benefits are great.

Cons

There are some sociopathic managers at this company who I observed trying to manipulate others just for the pleasure of cruelty. There are some deeply insecure managers holding grudges and trying to get revenge for perceived slights. Honestly, the politics of this place were overwhelming to me. Maybe only 20% of the managers were what I would call "sick minds", the rest were honest and sincere, but it was too much for me. I can't play those sorts of games and I had to get out. Sometimes you don't even know that you are playing a game until afterwards.

This is an old company and has a lot of legacy code around. Being innovative often means ignoring glaring problems that have been around for 5 - 10 years. That is kind of painful if you care about quality.

I saw some happy managers and I concluded in the end that it was luck of the draw. If you got thrown into the lion pit you might escape or might get torn to shreds. Some managers never got thrown into the lion pit and were able to do well, so if you are considering working there you may get lucky. No one is going to help you out, though.

Definitely better to be an engineer than a manager at Apple, IMO.

Keep cleaning house.

Tim Cook recently fired one famous sociopath, who was taking credit for others' achievements and attacking others for perceived slights. I never had to work with him directly, but he is a good proxy for others I'd prefer to not name. But it made me very happy to see that Tim Cook is cleaning house a bit. I think Apple will improve by getting rid of the insecure and machiavellian ladder climbers.

Apple is awesome because it is one company. Don't tolerate the silo makers.

3894 Other Employee Reviews for Apple (View Most Recent)

Apple helped me become a better engineer, and I helped Apple change he world

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Get to work on amazing new stuff that actually ships.
    Tens of millions of people run my code every day in their iPhone, iPad or Mac.
    Worked with and learned from the best people in the industry.
    Tons of mutual respect for all fellow employees.
    Confidence: you are at Apple.. If it can be done, then we can do it.

Cons

Some teams are better than others.
    Some managers would be better engineers.
    It's hard to live up to the reputation of Apple.

Your employees love working for you, just please make sure you aggressively fight political situations and poor management and trust in your engineers to do what it takes to make awesome stuff. Also: a profound thank you for many awesome years. I never felt like I was wasting my time.

Great work place

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pursuading the innovation in every areas
    Requiring close collaboration with cross functional teams

Cons

Hard to control work and life balance

There are newer employer reviews for Apple