There are newer employer reviews for Apple

best company to work for--ever

Current Employee - Customer Service in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Customer Service in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great environment full of smart, creative, dedicated people

Cons

sometimes long hours because of product launches, but thats the best part of apple!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good fun place to work loved it

I worked at Apple

Pros

Fun company a lot of cool perks

Cons

None loved working here, contract position that ended and I tried reapplying to the store after that position and have had no success

Being a manager can be like working in a mad house

Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart people, 95% of them super dedicated to the company. Amazing products that the world loves. Feels great to work someplace where you can be so proud of what you are creating and under such a recognizable brand. People are pushing technologies not for the latest fad but for rational reasons.

I loved, loved, loved working with so many smart engineers who knew their stuff, and who demanded the best from others.

Campus has a great energy, food and other benefits are great.

Cons

There are some sociopathic managers at this company who I observed trying to manipulate others just for the pleasure of cruelty. There are some deeply insecure managers holding grudges and trying to get revenge for perceived slights. Honestly, the politics of this place were overwhelming to me. Maybe only 20% of the managers were what I would call "sick minds", the rest were honest and sincere, but it was too much for me. I can't play those sorts of games and I had to get out. Sometimes you don't even know that you are playing a game until afterwards.

This is an old company and has a lot of legacy code around. Being innovative often means ignoring glaring problems that have been around for 5 - 10 years. That is kind of painful if you care about quality.

I saw some happy managers and I concluded in the end that it was luck of the draw. If you got thrown into the lion pit you might escape or might get torn to shreds. Some managers never got thrown into the lion pit and were able to do well, so if you are considering working there you may get lucky. No one is going to help you out, though.

Definitely better to be an engineer than a manager at Apple, IMO.

Advice to Management

Keep cleaning house.

Tim Cook recently fired one famous sociopath, who was taking credit for others' achievements and attacking others for perceived slights. I never had to work with him directly, but he is a good proxy for others I'd prefer to not name. But it made me very happy to see that Tim Cook is cleaning house a bit. I think Apple will improve by getting rid of the insecure and machiavellian ladder climbers.

Apple is awesome because it is one company. Don't tolerate the silo makers.