There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Not what I expected.

Current Employee - Production Designer in Cupertino, CA
Current Employee - Production Designer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are impressed when they hear you work at Apple. Apple encourages learning, classes are offered to learn new software. They have some really fun events and guest speakers. Cupertino is a pleasant town if you are tired of the crowds and cold weather of San Francisco.

Cons

Work space is very crowded. Everyone in my group works in one open room.
Very political work environment. Some groups burn out employees quickly and have low job retention.
There is often no notice if you have to stay late.

Treat everyone in organization better, not just upper management, and you would have higher employee satisfaction and retention.

3888 Other Employee Reviews for Apple (View Most Recent)

Not for everyone

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pays well, great coworkers, good benefits, lots of learning

Cons

High stress, angry people, very demanding, noisy

about the products, as well as myself. I was a Family Room Specialist, which translates roughly to a "Genius" of only the mobile devices. I would take appointments all day and try and repair customer's devices (as well as their attitude about it).

My review is for my position only. I can't speak for people of the other positions. But some things carried over consistently for everyone.

PROS:
    First of all, it pays well for a retail job. All medical benefits are included, even if you're part-time. That's great because you'll be working with A LOT of people and thus tons of germs.

The team is amazing. I have never worked with such a tight-knit group in my life. You can depend on your coworkers for pretty much anything, and they'll be there for you. Apple hires very intelligent, dependable people with great personalities and it shows. You are almost guaranteed to make life-long friends there.

Management is decent and does try to care about your stress level, mental health, and work/life balance as much as possible. They can't take a ton of interest in you considering they have over 100 employees at any one store, but they try very hard to get to know you and talk with you about your goals.

You'll learn a ton about the products. Training is a couple weeks long and you'll never stop learning little bits and pieces. The workers are very smart and you will always learn something from someone during the day.

CONS

The customers. Not all are bad. Most are neutral, but for the most part, you WILL be the brunt of everyone's bad day, bad attitude, or bad personality. You will learn very quickly that customers are complete a**holes who are entitled to everything. There are good ones out there who actually treat you like a human being, but it is very rare. For the most part, you are dealing with people who are already frustrated with their devices and right away you're at a disadvantage with them. You will try your hardest to help them and ease their nerves, but sometimes it gets out of control. I've been sworn at, stormed out on, insulted, and just plain disrespected. I've had customers threaten to shoot themselves in the face because their contacts disappeared. This is no joke. People are very emotional about their phones. It becomes ridiculous. And it gets old REALLY fast. It's draining. You're not a technician, you're a psychologist.

The store is a complete madhouse with noise levels well above normal almost all the time. You will have people at your back consistently and will have to dodge tons of people just to get to the back room. I am claustrophobic and so I did not do well in this environment. The customers even complain that it's "crazy" and "too loud." You have to raise your voice to even be heard by people standing two feet from you.

There's really no where to go promotion-wise. The stores have only a handful of positions, and none of them are conducive to growth. If you don't want to become a Mac genius or a manager, there's really nowhere to go. It's very dead-end and even those at the top agree with that.

OVERALL

Some people really thrive in that environment and were there for years. I couldn't wait to get out. Most workers are trying to get out too. If you can handle high stress, lots of angry people, and noise, by all means, go for it.

Too much work for not enough pay

I have been working at Apple

Pros

Apple Hardware Discount
    Good Benefits
    Reduced Priced Software

Cons

Horrible Boss
    Limited Capabilities