There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Great company to work for, with very limited upward mobility

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store)  in  Bethesda, MD
Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Apple full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a great work environment with a great team. You get to sell incredible products to other people that are passionate about them, and you aren't paid on commission. This allows brutal honesty, and also a high level of trust between sales person and the customer. Apple really emphasizes the customer experience, and wants to treat every customer as if they were in a 5 star hotel.

Cons

The store was always incredibly busy, and frequently understaffed. It was a generally stressful environment, but being that the team was so close, it really wasn't that bad. The worst part about this job is that they force feed you the Apple Kool Aid, which in and of itself I am not opposed to. I love Apple, I love their ideals, and I love their products. However, the unfortunate consequence is that every person there is basically a die hard Apple employee, and many of them believe if you stay long enough you will move high up in the food chain. After 2-3 years, you realize you won't. I had some friends that were around 4-5 years in my store, and they were incredible people...fantastic with customers, knowledgable about every aspect of the business, and constant over performers. However, at some point they realized...wow, there really isn't anywhere to go. Apple frequently hires store managers from other chains (like Gap, Starbucks, Banana Republic), and infrequently promote directly within. It is a great place to work, but there is a VERY large ceiling there that is virtually impossible to break through without leaving and working elsewhere for experience first.

I think in general the team is great, but as is always stressed in the consumer side, I think you need to manage the expectations of your employees better. Yes their is some mobility in terms of roles within the store, but you have to be more upfront and honest with talented employees about the likelihood of legitimate career sustaining advancement.

3731 Other Employee Reviews for Apple (View Most Recent)

Great for the first couple of years

Former Employee - Genius  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Genius in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing benefits, employee stock purchase plan, a ton of free software, amazing peer coworkers, significant product discounts.

Cons

Poor store management (across multiple stores), long hours, terrible work/life balance, not as well-paid as one would hope, and an attendance policy that borders on draconian.

Fix the attendance policy, pay your employees what their worth (especially in technical support, where they get yelled at regularly by customers), and provide better facilities overall at all stores.

Great company, low pay.

Current Employee - Expert
    Current Employee - Expert

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than a year

Pros

Phenomenal culture and rewarding experiences.

Cons

Low pay for the skills required, even if its high for retail.

Value your employees with dollars, not just recognition.

There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!