Apple

www.apple.com

Great company to work for, with very limited upward mobility

Mac Specialist (Apple Store) (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsIt is a great work environment with a great team. You get to sell incredible products to other people that are passionate about them, and you aren't paid on commission. This allows brutal honesty, and also a high level of trust between sales person and the customer. Apple really emphasizes the customer experience, and wants to treat every customer as if they were in a 5 star hotel.

ConsThe store was always incredibly busy, and frequently understaffed. It was a generally stressful environment, but being that the team was so close, it really wasn't that bad. The worst part about this job is that they force feed you the Apple Kool Aid, which in and of itself I am not opposed to. I love Apple, I love their ideals, and I love their products. However, the unfortunate consequence is that every person there is basically a die hard Apple employee, and many of them believe if you stay long enough you will move high up in the food chain. After 2-3 years, you realize you won't. I had some friends that were around 4-5 years in my store, and they were incredible people...fantastic with customers, knowledgable about every aspect of the business, and constant over performers. However, at some point they realized...wow, there really isn't anywhere to go. Apple frequently hires store managers from other chains (like Gap, Starbucks, Banana Republic), and infrequently promote directly within. It is a great place to work, but there is a VERY large ceiling there that is virtually impossible to break through without leaving and working elsewhere for experience first.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think in general the team is great, but as is always stressed in the consumer side, I think you need to manage the expectations of your employees better. Yes their is some mobility in terms of roles within the store, but you have to be more upfront and honest with talented employees about the likelihood of legitimate career sustaining advancement.

Great for the first couple of years

Genius (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Amazing benefits, employee stock purchase plan, a ton of free… Cons: Poor store management (across multiple stores), long hours, terrible work/life balance, not as… Advice to Senior Management: Fix the attendance policy, pay your employees what their worth (especially in technical support, where… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Best job of my life

Front End Engineer (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: The environment is unlike anywhere else.. you have inspiration everywhere and you really feel like you're doing some of the most important work of your… Cons: The commute may get old, but it's hard to complain… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Apple.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!