Apple

www.apple.com
  www.apple.com
There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Awesome learning experience, currently harder to make high commissions

Current Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

gym, cafeteria, nice office, excellent benefits, matching 401K, education assistance, employee stock purchase discount

Cons

current management has manipulated commission structure to tighten the gap between bottom and top performers. Much harder to have a stellar year compared to previous years

don't kill the sales culture, loosen up the sales comp plan and allow for a few outliers to make good money to inspire the other salesmen

4107 Other Employee Reviews for Apple (View Most Recent)

It's great to say you work at Apple, but not great to actually work there.

Former Employee - Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Brand recognition
    -Get to use their products as part of your job
    -Good benefits and RSU's
    -Beer bashes and private concerts for employees
    -International exposure
    -Diverse workforce, lots of women and different ethnic groups

Cons

The company is very arrogant. Management hates being compared to competitors or even analyzing the business against competition. Everything has to be done the Apple way even if it's inefficient and inconvenient to employees and partners.

They do not like out of the box thinking. Questioning long-standing processes or decisions is frowned upon.

Very top heavy. Everyone lives in fear for their boss or their boss's boss. Lots of decisions are made arbitrarily based on if some executive likes it or not, no matter what research or analysis has shown. I guess it's the legacy of Steve Jobs that every executive has a Steve Jobs complex and likes to act like God.

Sycophants and mindless rule followers get promoted. This results in too many middle managers with no people management experience or skills. People who questions status quo or push for change are pushed out.

Hardware may be advanced, but internal software tools are completely outdated. They hate using SAAS or third-party software and subject employees to slow and clunky systems and tools. I was using more advanced systems in 2007 at a startup than I was in 2013 at Apple. And there is barely any automation. They have armies of human drones working on basic data-entry and other really tedious tasks that could be easily automated.

-Examine your competition closely and own your weaknesses.
    -Don't be so smug you can't accept criticism and feedback.
    -Promote people based on their skills and ability to bring new approaches to business, instead of rewarding the people who are blindly loyal.
    -Automate!

Great team - great system

Former Employee - Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Apple part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Most of my coworkers were great - Apple really brings in quality people
    - Management led (as opposed to ruled) and were truly a part of the team
    - Corporate did not simply forget about retail - any communications came to the ENTIRE company (getting an email from Steve Jobs and later from Tim Cook was pretty neat)
    - Corporate actually listened to its employees and made several changes in retail based off of employee feedback in my year and a half there
    - Positive attitude most of the time
    - Encouraged a great team environment
    - No commission for retail, so it is not cutthroat
    - Extremely laid back overall

Cons

- Tons of interviews to get the position (I did six interviews for the retail specialist position - although this filters out most bad eggs)
    - The store sometimes pushes getting a certain quota a bit much at times

Great thing is, when I had advice for management, they actually listened while I was there. Top notch company.

There are newer employer reviews for Apple