Fun Open and Rewarding

Current Contractor - Tier I Support in Austin, TX
Current Contractor - Tier I Support in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Open to new ideas and let you run with the ball when needed. Certain groups are very open to contact between each other which grows new ideas.

Cons

Lower level jobs are usually micro managed which can be difficult for some

Other Employee Reviews for Apple

1. Most fun you can have at work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People and Products. Working at Apple you work with the best people on the most amazing products. Everyone is driven to do their best work.

Cons

Can be demanding. Rigorous schedules.

2. A lesson in how my technical expertise factors into social interactions

I worked at Apple part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They helped pay for my transit to and from work, which helped me save a lot of money, they held contests to win software like adobe creative suite for free, which is an amazing chance for anyone who knows how much those products cost, and they were always concerned with my well-being as an employee...it was a huge concern to the people that I worked under that I not feel as though I was just a cog in a machine, they stressed the philosophy of the importance of teamwork and impact of employees.

Cons

Most of the cons were due to my own personality, but I was continually stressed by times when I would have to try and make meaningful connections with people who didn't understand technology the way I did. I wouldn't trade the experiences I had there for anything, and I met a lot of really amazing and interesting people, but the amount of time I had to spend explaining things to people that seemed second nature to me required a lot of patience to bridge that gap, and that's not for everybody. Sometimes sporadic nature of how my schedule shifted around got on my nerves, too.

Advice to Management

It's important to communicate if you don't see eye to eye with an employee, or if you can't necessarily understand their feelings on the subject. I know when you are a manager you worry about rubbing someone the wrong way if you don't completely align with what they are trying to say, but if you don't provide any perspective and just agree with everything, that can almost be just as problematic. If there is an experience you don't understand, just say it. It will gain more ground in communication even if it isn't the most positive of responses, and it can lead to a positive conclusion.