There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Both amazing and disappointing, overall a good experience.

Former Employee - Creative
Former Employee - Creative

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Apple retail is a well oiled machine or at least it was three years ago when I left. As far as retail employment I imagine it is one of if not the best but remember it is retail sales. Apple has a stick set of rules which makes it easy know what you can and can't do. You can have multiple body piercings, ware unique clothing, hair and shoes (as log as you ware the correct official shirt) but you can't be 7 minutes late. The benefits are very good for retail and available to part time employees. Advancement opportunities are there but a little limited. The pay is OK, probably better than most retail stores. The attitude and atmosphere where I worked was awesome.

Cons

Many of the plusses are also cons. It is retail sales and that can only be so good. There is a limited to how many irrational, irate customers you can deal with no matter how good you are. Apples strict set of rules can be rigid and unforgiving. When I started there was a ridged corporate rule concerning tardiness. I saw three very good employees be released in two years over legitimate scheduling mistakes that were more the managers fault than the employee. A beloved creative, a hardworking efficient stock person and an excellent full time specialist with excellent sales numbers released because of ridged enforcement of time policy. I understand these rules have now been changed because of the loss of to many good staff. Apple seemed fixated on hiring managers with a number of years in retail but they don't differentiate by type of retail. WalMart and Kohles don't train you to run an Apple store. All the best people seem to be transient at an Apple Store, college students working their way through college or professionals who are between jobs. The talented come and go but so many want to work for Apple the supply of staff seems unlimited. I was fortunate enough to do a couple of new store openings. It was a blast but of the stores I saw open in two years 80% of the staff had turned over. In most cases the best and brightest with the best sales and customer satisfaction were gone. I was between professional positions when I worked for Apple Retail. I started as a part time specialist, was promoted to full time, and then expert, and creative. While a specialist I lead the store in sales, sales metrics and customer satisfaction before moving on to another professional position.

Advice to Management

I love Apple and don't regret my three years in Apple Retail. I would recommend Apple take more care in hiring Managers. Retail experience isn't necessarily a guarantee of success. My experience was that Apple hired managers from low end retail chains that were totally unsuited for an Apple store. Perhaps thinking outside the box on hiring of managers may be a good direction. I fear Apple is aware and actually counts on the transient nature of its retail staff. I can't offer a better alternative but I would like to see Apple Retail become a good carrier choice for some of the excellent transient staff it looses. It would be great to walk into an Apple store and be helped by someone truly knowledgable that had been there for over three years.

Other Employee Reviews for Apple

1. Temp job through a temp agency, its a job...

Current Contractor - Technician in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Contractor - Technician in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Apple as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

its a job, be a good worker and possibly you might hired on permanently.

Cons

easy work, the leads and trainers are always on you. Theres a quota for each day that needs to be done. While they are doing nothing but micro managing you.

Advice to Management

Do some work then being on facebook all the time!

It's definitely a good college job. Not sure after that.

Former Employee - College At-home Advisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - College At-home Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at Apple part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The tuition reimbursement is excellent. The college program comes with a seasonal schedule (full time in summer, part time during school), with full benefits even during the part time phase. The people are pretty cool for the most part. There seem to be a few opportunities for advancement, at least within the AppleCare department. Not really a track toward a fulfilling career for 99% of people, but at least a chance to get promoted within the job and make a few more bucks. Working from home can be very convenient. The pay is decent for a college job, especially when considered alongside the tuition money. The product discounts are pretty good for people who want to buy Apple products. There are also several other discounts that third parties offer to Apple employees.

Cons

The training is shaky at best, focusing on how to talk to people (which is obviously important) but breezing past a lot of the technical knowledge required to do the job well. During the first month or two on the phones, most advisors are like fish out of water. Nobody seemed to know how to answer most of the tech questions, whom they should contact for a given issue, or which internal procedures applied to which situations. It works itself out with time and experience, but the training should be more thorough before people are put on the phones with customers. There's a steady stream of calls from people who are ticked off and want troubleshooting help, but don't have AppleCare coverage. You have to tell those people, as nicely as possible, to either buy AppleCare for the device, pay $19 for a single issue, or try to find their own answers on the Apple website. Then, when they decline to pay for support and subsequently aren't happy with the outcome, you receive a 'dissatisfied' survey and get to discuss it with your manager. Dumb.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of educating the public about the fact that their devices don't come with free lifetime tech support. Staff phone lines full time for iTunes billing issues so your tech support advisors don't get stuck telling people to email the iTunes Store and wait for an answer. Revisit the training schedule and make sure that every advisor is well-equipped to answer the ten or fifteen main questions that will come up every week.