Apple

www.apple.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Both amazing and disappointing, overall a good experience.

Former Employee - Creative
Former Employee - Creative

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Apple retail is a well oiled machine or at least it was three years ago when I left. As far as retail employment I imagine it is one of if not the best but remember it is retail sales. Apple has a stick set of rules which makes it easy know what you can and can't do. You can have multiple body piercings, ware unique clothing, hair and shoes (as log as you ware the correct official shirt) but you can't be 7 minutes late. The benefits are very good for retail and available to part time employees. Advancement opportunities are there but a little limited. The pay is OK, probably better than most retail stores. The attitude and atmosphere where I worked was awesome.

Cons

Many of the plusses are also cons. It is retail sales and that can only be so good. There is a limited to how many irrational, irate customers you can deal with no matter how good you are. Apples strict set of rules can be rigid and unforgiving. When I started there was a ridged corporate rule concerning tardiness. I saw three very good employees be released in two years over legitimate scheduling mistakes that were more the managers fault than the employee. A beloved creative, a hardworking efficient stock person and an excellent full time specialist with excellent sales numbers released because of ridged enforcement of time policy. I understand these rules have now been changed because of the loss of to many good staff.

Apple seemed fixated on hiring managers with a number of years in retail but they don't differentiate by type of retail. WalMart and Kohles don't train you to run an Apple store.

All the best people seem to be transient at an Apple Store, college students working their way through college or professionals who are between jobs. The talented come and go but so many want to work for Apple the supply of staff seems unlimited. I was fortunate enough to do a couple of new store openings. It was a blast but of the stores I saw open in two years 80% of the staff had turned over. In most cases the best and brightest with the best sales and customer satisfaction were gone. I was between professional positions when I worked for Apple Retail. I started as a part time specialist, was promoted to full time, and then expert, and creative. While a specialist I lead the store in sales, sales metrics and customer satisfaction before moving on to another professional position.

I love Apple and don't regret my three years in Apple Retail. I would recommend Apple take more care in hiring Managers. Retail experience isn't necessarily a guarantee of success. My experience was that Apple hired managers from low end retail chains that were totally unsuited for an Apple store. Perhaps thinking outside the box on hiring of managers may be a good direction. I fear Apple is aware and actually counts on the transient nature of its retail staff. I can't offer a better alternative but I would like to see Apple Retail become a good carrier choice for some of the excellent transient staff it looses. It would be great to walk into an Apple store and be helped by someone truly knowledgable that had been there for over three years.

4405 Other Employee Reviews for Apple (View Most Recent)

Temp job through a temp agency, its a job...

Current Contractor - Technician in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Contractor - Technician in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Apple as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

its a job, be a good worker and possibly you might hired on permanently.

Cons

easy work, the leads and trainers are always on you. Theres a quota for each day that needs to be done. While they are doing nothing but micro managing you.

Do some work then being on facebook all the time!

Outstanding

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great products, great culture, great people to work with. Stock options appreciated greatly in value. Amazing experience.

Cons

Silicon Valley is a terrible place to live and work. Real estate prices are way over the top. Traffic can be impossible. Cost of living cancels out much of the benefits of good compensation.

There are newer employer reviews for Apple