Challenging work environment.

Former Employee - Apple Family Room Specialist
Former Employee - Apple Family Room Specialist

I worked at Apple part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits package if you're lucky enough to get full-time. There was a very diverse group of people on the team and we felt like a big family.

Cons

Very difficult to get full-time in any position within the retail store. In-store management team was virtually powerless; everything from quantity of hours available to promotions/role changes were left in the hands of the market leaders (who didn't really have any idea what was needed). Hours were highly unpredictable, which made it nearly impossible to have a life outside of the store. Very difficult to move within the ranks of the store; they would very often bring in "new hires" from outside the store that would get positions that people who had been working there for years wanted. Very high-stress work environment (particularly at the Genius Bar) and, the pay rate didn't compensate for the demands most of the time. No connection between retail and corporate sides of Apple as far as job movement.

In-store management should have more power and market leaders should have less. Make schedules more predictable. Hire from within the store more often. Increase retail/genius bar employees pay rates to more closely resemble those of corporate employees. For example, Genius Bar employees made, on average, significantly less than AppleCare at-home advisors (which is absurd). Lose Tim Cook.

Other Reviews for Apple

overall company was great- Management was terrible

Former Employee - Back of House Specialist  in  Hingham, MA
    Former Employee - Back of House Specialist in Hingham, MA

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great benefits. Friendly co-workers. promote from within though they did play favorites

Cons

management rotates and different rules and schedule issues each time I got a new manager. Nothing consistent

be fair & dont play favorites

Great way to break in

Former Employee - Mac Genius  in  Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Mac Genius in Durham, NC

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Apple has introduced me to some of the smartest people and some of my best friends. Most people are welcoming to any store I go into and will be comfortable sharing a drink after work, because its usually needed.

Cons

Work-life Balance, overwhelming number of customers, inflexible management. After a certain amount of time working can become the same thing day in and day out. Very few career opportunities. I was expected to work over my normal schedule hours and then berated for having overtime.

Be open to talking to employees, don't encourage fake group projects.

There are newer employer reviews for Apple.

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!