Apple

www.apple.com
  www.apple.com
There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Apple Retail: Great in the beginning but turned out to be just like any other job.

Former Employee - Red Zone Specialist in Santa Clara, CA
Former Employee - Red Zone Specialist in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The perks, the benefits (only if your offered the full time role), stock options, Apple Passport, discounts on Apple goods and also third parties product discounts.

Cons

Favoritism in retail, people getting promoted who didn't deserve it, moving up the retail ladder requires lots of lateral moves, pay is alright but not great, if you speak a language, they milk it. I've worked retail for 10+ years and I thought Apple would be totally different. I thought it would be an easier foot in the door into apple corporate. Just be careful, apple is VERY selective to who they promote into corporate (certain positions), plus your manager needs to give you a good work if they decide to promote you and its just like any other retail jobs. The perks make it semi-tollerable.

**Use your 2nd language to leverage more pay when negotiating pay in retail, especially if you speak Chinese or Spanish, very high customer volume in stores here in the Bay Area, California **

Don't micromanage, don't talk down to the associates (Some managers, not all), We all have favorites but please don't make it so obvious as to who you do favor, promotions or even lateral moves need to be carefully evaluated. Some people don't deserve them but they happen. I tried to become a 'Creative and I did many in-store initiatives to make my way there. However, numerous people got promoted to the next steps over me who didn't deserve it or didn't work as hard as myself.

4110 Other Employee Reviews for Apple (View Most Recent)

Apple Retail is not what is once was

Former Employee - Mac Genius in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Mac Genius in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You are working for one of the most sought after brands in the world and develop great customer service skills. Great benefits, 401k and stock plan

Cons

Not much growth for Genius's at the retail level. Once you reach this point unless management is where you want to go then you have no future with Apple. Moving from retail to corporate is not something that happens just from putting in time at the retail level and in most cases you will need to leave and then re apply to get the experience that is wanted at the corporate level.

Managers have decided that retail employees are basically a revolving door and do not fight to keep good talent and because of this they are losing more and more of their good talent and getting stuck with the left overs. Most managers seemed to not care and I personally never wanted to share my real opinion in fear that it would lead to me being roadblocked more than I already was. I had seen this happen several times. If management wants you out or has decided that you have outgrown apple they do everything in their power to make sure that you move on instead of helping and finding a new position within the company. Apple needs to re evaluate retail and figure out how to keep good talent.

Just another retailer..that shoves its hype down your throat from day one

Former Employee - Redzone Specialist in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Redzone Specialist in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Apple part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I learned a lot about crisis management: What to do when ALL managers were absent, how to handle the terrible relationships with pathetic customers who only valued material goods, how to advocate (unsuccessfully) for my advancement in the store and, most importantly, how to force a smile when every day felt a little bit more soul-sucking.

Cons

Read above. Seriously. This place is not an easy place to work at. It was my first retail job out of college and the job that showed me that I really wanted to become a teacher and help educate people, instead of act like a cleaner, more youthful equivalent of a sketchy car salesman selling overpriced and over-hyped tech goods. What I liked about working at the Apple store most, instead of selling useless goods to people, was teaching them how to use the technology. It's good tech, just too expensive and snobbish for the plebeians (like me!) to be marketed towards.

Elevate the smartest people in the store, the hardest working and the least committed to petty retail gamesmanship to better positions on the floor. If people WANT, really want, to educate others at the FRS booths, let them. OH WAIT! I forgot, us FRS (Family Room Specialists) don't make any money for the company, at least not in a straight transaction sort of way. What a joke. Talk about devaluing a core tenant of the Apple stores, the education....

There are newer employer reviews for Apple