Apple

www.apple.com
  www.apple.com
There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Apple Retail: Great in the beginning but turned out to be just like any other job.

Former Employee - Red Zone Specialist in Santa Clara, CA
Former Employee - Red Zone Specialist in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The perks, the benefits (only if your offered the full time role), stock options, Apple Passport, discounts on Apple goods and also third parties product discounts.

Cons

Favoritism in retail, people getting promoted who didn't deserve it, moving up the retail ladder requires lots of lateral moves, pay is alright but not great, if you speak a language, they milk it. I've worked retail for 10+ years and I thought Apple would be totally different. I thought it would be an easier foot in the door into apple corporate. Just be careful, apple is VERY selective to who they promote into corporate (certain positions), plus your manager needs to give you a good work if they decide to promote you and its just like any other retail jobs. The perks make it semi-tollerable.

**Use your 2nd language to leverage more pay when negotiating pay in retail, especially if you speak Chinese or Spanish, very high customer volume in stores here in the Bay Area, California **

Don't micromanage, don't talk down to the associates (Some managers, not all), We all have favorites but please don't make it so obvious as to who you do favor, promotions or even lateral moves need to be carefully evaluated. Some people don't deserve them but they happen. I tried to become a 'Creative and I did many in-store initiatives to make my way there. However, numerous people got promoted to the next steps over me who didn't deserve it or didn't work as hard as myself.

3992 Other Employee Reviews for Apple (View Most Recent)

Apple Retail is not what is once was

Former Employee - Mac Genius in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Mac Genius in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You are working for one of the most sought after brands in the world and develop great customer service skills. Great benefits, 401k and stock plan

Cons

Not much growth for Genius's at the retail level. Once you reach this point unless management is where you want to go then you have no future with Apple. Moving from retail to corporate is not something that happens just from putting in time at the retail level and in most cases you will need to leave and then re apply to get the experience that is wanted at the corporate level.

Managers have decided that retail employees are basically a revolving door and do not fight to keep good talent and because of this they are losing more and more of their good talent and getting stuck with the left overs. Most managers seemed to not care and I personally never wanted to share my real opinion in fear that it would lead to me being roadblocked more than I already was. I had seen this happen several times. If management wants you out or has decided that you have outgrown apple they do everything in their power to make sure that you move on instead of helping and finding a new position within the company. Apple needs to re evaluate retail and figure out how to keep good talent.

Heart of the company is in the right place but the social politics of management can be counter-productive

Former Employee - Tier I Technical Support Advisor
    Former Employee - Tier I Technical Support Advisor

I worked at Apple full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working from home with this company is great because they give you the equipment that they need you to use. You can also learn a vast amount of information in a short amount of time.

Cons

The training isn't thorough enough for a person who has very little call center experience and limited knowledge of Apple products. In such cases, for awhile you'll only be as good as the training that you receive.

This not a good environment for someone who works best independently nor those who aren't very social. You are basically pressured into being very social outside dealing with customers, especially with your team manager and your team. If there is a small learning curve for you to master the duties of this job, then chatting with your team members all shift about non-job related topics such gaming helps you to develops bonds with your team mates. If you have a larger learning curve to master the duties of this job, then chatting with your team all shift is very distracting. There can be social consequences that you may face if you aren't extremely social with your manager and your team on a daily basis that will eventually affect you on the job.

Confidentiality about job performance and personal information is nearly non-existent if you have a boss that frequently delegates his job duties onto to others. Your team mates and will find out all of your personal business that you have shared with your manager. Things that you may only want to discuss with your manager will be discussed with your team mates.

Don't let your ego get in the way of how you relate to your employees. Most Employees that don't throw a parade for you althroughout their shifts are trying to focus on learning their jobs and doing them correctly. Yes Man-ism is totally overvalued and counterproductive to those who respect the company enough to make the effort to focus most of their time on learning as much as they can about the products and the customers rather than being a Yes Man to the boss.

Further, confidentiality is important to employees, especially when it concerns sharing their private information or issues that may be occuring on the job. Backfill team managers and those who are being unofficially trained for management shouldn't be allowed access to their colleagues evaluations and communications between you and those on your team about their performance. This is very unprofessional behavior.

There are newer employer reviews for Apple