There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Apple Was My Job, Not My Life.

Former Employee - Specialist
Former Employee - Specialist

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For a retail position, compensation and benefits were solid. Lots of good training and many opportunities for temporary assignments around the company. Apple goes out of their way to seek out talented individuals who are interesting, engaging and usually fun to work with. Products speak for themselves.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be terrible. Even for a retail specialist, leadership constantly asked people to come in early/stay late, work days off, etc, especially around product launches. Our leadership team was increasingly difficult to satisfy - their drive for results was bordering on maniacal, which took a lot of the Apple magic away from our store and ultimately burned out a lot of their top talent.

3720 Other Employee Reviews for Apple (View Most Recent)

Learning from Challenge and Change

Current Employee - Apple Expert  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Apple Expert in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A distinctly fast paced and challenging environment where it is beneficial to begin to foster and nurture business relationships with clientele on a personal level. I find it very easy to talk to people and want to get to know them as people, not just as customers. The camaraderie that people develop with their customers, both internal and external is incredible.

Cons

Even though the senior corporate leadership is fantastic, skilled, proven and driven to make a good product and take care of its people, the retail leadership is highly lacking. The tendency is to hire people from the outside (Target, for example) who are not familiar with the internal Apple culture and ascend them into leadership roles, rather than spend a little more time and a little more money to develop leaders from within the Apple retail family.

Rethink your retail business model, especially when it comes to hiring outside people to lead your stores. You say you are passionate about your employees, retaining and developing them into being whatever they want, well, prove it. The soul of your company is your people. The face of your company is your Retail Stores. when you hire sub-par people to lead AMAZING sotres, you are going to get sub-par results.

Apple retail was wonderful in the early years, changed a lot after Steve died and Ron Johnson left.

I worked at Apple full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Apple Retail has some really great people, good benefits and for the most part, a fun environment.

Cons

It's retail, awful hours, some awful customers and while they talk "work life balance" you are expected to work often with little notice and EVERY weekend. In the early 2000's it was all about the customer experience, now it's all about selling and how much can we make off of a customer. I had a manager actually tell me "I expect $5,000 an hour out of transactions like that". After giving Apple 11 years of my life, that was the last straw....

Get back to the basics that Apple Retail was founded on.

There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!