There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Loved it

Former Employee - Genius in Mission Viejo, CA
Former Employee - Genius in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at Apple

Pros

Absolutely loved working for Uncle Steve. The corporation, even as a corporation, was a great thing to be a part of. Loved the services I provided to the public, even when they were challenging and unappreciative.

Cons

I had things thrown at me by customers who were less than satisfied by the company line. But that kind of goes with the territory of working technical service in any industry.

Keep the store weird. Keep retail small. Always be accessible. Teach them well and always have faith that your employees are looking out for the company's best interests.

reviews filtered by

Like any other big company

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple

Pros

- Nice perks
    - Super casual dress code
    - Really nice people and interpersonal culture
    - Can actually take accrued vacation without anyone complaining
    - Stock has been doing very well
    - Heavy marketing means you can impress everyone when you say where you work.

Cons

- Lots of weird managerial politics
    - Endless meetings to get anything done
    - Ridiculous amount of secrecy causes animosity between different teams and makes it take forever to get anything done unless it's high priority or "for Steve".
    - Waaayyyyy understaffed for software engineering in most departments, prepare to work lots of overtime.
    - Some senior engineers have been around for 20 or 30 years, no matter how out of touch they may be, they'll have a significant say in projects tangentially related to them.
    - Corollary: Don't be young.
    - Software engineering culture is fad driven (and we're talking weird Apple-only fads like GCD) on the desktop, rushed and buggy on embedded.

Software design mimics the organization that creates it, by separating desktop and embedded development with such an insane amount of security checkpoints, you're ensuring that economies of scale and scope that could come from sharing embedded and desktop code will never happen no matter how much management tries to force it.

And getting caught between these two worlds is infinitely frustrating.

2. Good, but hard work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple

Pros

Good corporate culture and learning.

Cons

Long hours. Company is driven by brand marketing rather than engineering.

Listen to employees.