There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Kind of a Con

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Apple

Pros

The benefits package is amazing. Medical, Dental, Vision, an insane employee discount for you and your family, as well as a variety of discounts at other stores and venues. Being a specialist is super-easy.

Cons

The Family Room Specialist position is a total con. When it was offered to me, it was referred to as an entry-level position, yet it is a position that those who start as specialists are promoted to. The work is backbreaking, requiring a significant deal of knowledge and an ability to take abuse from customers. You don't get to just chat with customers about cool speaker systems. You have to deliver the bad news. You have to be able to deal with pissed of customers, work quickly, be creative and sharp. It's a huge step up from the specialist position, and although it requires only a tenth of the technical skill required to be Genius, it requires just as strong an ability to work with angry, upset and confused customers with broken tech. Yet you make less than half of what some of the geniuses make.

Stop acting like counselors at summer camp. Yes, there are a lot of college-aged kids working at the store, but there are plenty of adults there who deserve to be treated as such. Also, try and hide the favoritism a little bit. Not because it makes employees who aren't favorites feel bad, but it makes you look like really weak leaders.

reviews filtered by
  1. One Hell of an Internship

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple

Pros

* Beer bashes! Free beer!
    * Intern Activities. They took us out to ballgames, a party boat in the bay, and other fun stuff.
    * Doing REAL work. I was given an actual project to complete and demo to our VP. Awesome!

Cons

Seriously, there is no downside to working here as an intern. You'd be very very very crazy not to accept!

There is nothing I can think of that would help my leadership. The closest thing might be to make sure managers keep up on their intern's work.

A place full of invisible walls

Former Employee - Project Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple

Pros

You get the name in your resume, cool products to play with, and mostly smart people to work with.

Cons

Teams are super protective of their own people.

If there's a problem, it's always huddle time and present the message that it's another team's fault.

Let's save faulting one another for later, apologize, hug it out, say kumbaya and get things resolved. There's nothing wrong with making mistakes as long as you learn from it. There's too much pride in being perfect that it creates unnecessary cycles to keep your bases covered.

There are newer employer reviews for Apple