AppleOne

www.appleone.com

It's a staffing agency and it's still a tough economy but they got me a job in a couple of weeks so that's not bad.

Current Employee - Temp  in  Santa Rosa, CA
Current Employee - Temp in Santa Rosa, CA

Pros

They have the time cards set up on the web so you don't have to go to the office. Pay straight to your checking account.
People in the office are very nice, too.

Cons

Haven't found one yet but I did just start with them.

Other reviews for AppleOne

Overall very disappointing.

Current Employee - Merchandise Remodel Coordinator  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Merchandise Remodel Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

AppleOne found me a contract job that wasn't great but got me into a company that I love so I accepted. In the beginning, before my contract began, my agent was very friendly and seemed to be putting a lot of effort into finding contract positions for me.

Cons

As soon as I signed the contract, I never heard from my agent again unless I emailed and called multiple times first. Even when I did finally get ahold of her it usually led to a game of telephone and unanswered questions.

Before my contract began, I asked my agent upfront if they would be taking money out of my paychecks and the answer was a resounding "no"--an answer that I later found out was an outright lie as I found out they are currently taking four dollars out of the hourly rate my company pays me for the work that I do.

Lastly, and possibly most frustrating, AppleOne does not advocate for raises for its employees. I have seen multiple raises for contractors from agencies including The Mergis Group and Kelly Mitchell for contractors working alongside me in identical contracts who are not being reviewed on performance, simply receiving raises for getting their contracts extended. When I called AppleOne to inquire about this difference in agencies, the only response I was given was that it is not "their policy" to ask for raises--even after my contract had been extended. They then tried to scare me out of speaking up to my supervisor at my job and turned the blame on me saying that I must not be working hard enough (which is not true according to my supervisor and also unrelated due to the fact that the company I work for has a flat rate across the board with contractors so the raise is dependent on the descretion of AppleOne). When I asked for documentation proving that my company had not raised the flat rate for contractors to find out whether or not AppleOne had just been pocketing the difference, I was told that it was again "not their policy" to share that information.

Being a contractor can be a great learning experience, but do your research before signing on with an agency like AppleOne or you might find yourself boxed into a immobile position like the one I am battling now. My advice is to know the facts and bring up these hard questions in your initial interview.

Implement more transparency in your business (specifically your base and mid-level employees) and really step back and learn from other agencies on how to approach raise negotiations and contractor relationship maintenance.

Turn 'em and burn 'em

Former Employee - Staffing Consultant  in  Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Staffing Consultant in Orange, CA

Pros

Great training when it comes to the buzz of staffing. It's fast-paced, with high turnover, regardless of what agency you work for. AppleOne really prepares you for that grind. I was never unaware that if I wasn't cutting it, I'd get cut.

Cons

Too many managers telling you what to do, and the schedule was so rigid, I was asked to change my dentist since he didn't offer appointments before my shift started. If I came into work a minute late, which happened maybe twice in 1.5 years, I was asked to take a minute from my lunch. If you returned late from lunch, you were given either a verbal or written condemnation. Another issue I found interesting, I was constantly asked to work on my own job orders, build my business, and recruit candidates for my open positions, but when the top performer in our office had a need, everyone basically had to drop all they were doing, and help her fill her orders. Not only did this improve her numbers, and made her one of the top performers within the whole company, it actually brought down my numbers and those of my coworkers. This only led to my detriment, or firing of my coworkers. (I was with A1 for a little over a year, and I saw 7 people leave my office, either let go or resigned.) I was asked repeatedly not to worry about the top performer's orders, but when a need came up, that statement was forgotten each time. Then I was back to square one during my WEEKLY review where I was more often than not, reprimanded for the numbers I had. I was also put on probation during a slow selling time when I feared being able to keep my job, and although my yearly numbers reached above and beyond my minimum requirements, it was not enough for that short time period. Lastly, I left AppleOne after finding another staffing gig for a small family-run company. As I left, I asked when I would receive my last expense check as well as the 6 days of vacation I accrued. I was told I wasn't offered my vacation time. A family lawyer told me it was illegal for them to take those accrued wages, once I accrue them, they are mine. Under the URISA law, AppleOne has found a supposed loophole to abandon this California regulation. Regardless, I fought it, and in court, they had a settlement check ready for me. If that doesn't scream class-action lawsuit, I'm not really sure what does.

Stop being sticklers about your schedule, and at least pretend to care what your employees say.

There are newer employer reviews for AppleOne.

Worked for AppleOne? Contribute to the Community!