Account Executive

I have been working at AppleOne

Pros

Good, basic sales experience, and account management. Reasonable bonus/commission structure. At a corporate level, the company does a great deal to make am employee feel he or she is a part of the family.

Cons

All AppleOne offices seem to carry slightly different mentalities depending on the market or region. While corporate really tries to feed your their ideas and approach to being successful, it is not always the same case at a given branch. A person's level of success, as well as the overall experience rely heavily on the culture within a particular branch. This is mainly due to the fact that is really is a small office setting with very few AppleOne Employees. If personalities do not gel, it is easy for a an Account Executive to struggle without much collaboration.

Advice to Management

Despite truly having many responsibilities, branch managers and regional vps need to really focus on reaching and working with employees to foster growth and success. There is a lot of talk, but not a lot of action when it comes down to it.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Account executive -sales, recruiter, account mgr

I have been working at AppleOne

Pros

Challenging, great training, fun, perfect for self starters

Cons

Long hours, stressful, slow ramp up

Decent entry-level recruiting job

Former Employee - Staffing Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Staffing Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppleOne full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They hire with more weight on personality than experience, at least for some people, which makes for a decent company culture. My branch was truly wonderful and I met some great people who I am still friends with today, yet this varies across branches. Every month or so you go to training classes, which are helpful. I thought that for me, AppleOne was great because I don't have much experience and I made more money than I have ever made before. But if you actually are good at what you do and have a degree, it isn't really worth it because one can make more somewhere else and actually be able to have a good work/life balance and support your family. One can make pretty good money by increasing their placements, just as with any recruiting/sales job, but it's better at other companies. If you make tons of money you get to spend 3 days or something in a nice area like Puerto Vallarta or Cancun on an all expenses paid trip. I left in less than a year because a better opportunity came up.

Cons

They don't pay talented people in their company enough and treat managers poorly. The commission structure & benefits package seems to be better at other similar agencies. It seems to be a case across AppleOne that even some of the top performers who make tons of money for the company struggle to support a family with what they make because so much is taken out of the pay check. I didn't work long enough to become a "top performer" and identify the root cause, but I feel that it's either the business model or the commission structure. It seems the CEO & President are so absorbed with making money for themselves that they don't want to pay a thing for their employees such as competitive salary or a reasonable amount of paid vacation days. Some branches are great (personality/culture wise), like mine, but others are rude, gossipy, build silos, and are generally unhelpful. But I feel like this is normal in big companies. Some of the branches in my region were awesome (like my own), but others seemed downright unethical to candidates. I understand a recruiter can't place every person that walks into AppleOne in their dream job, or any job for that matter (in a good office, it's actually around 20%, and that is an optimistic ratio). However, do your best to help people and provide some form of result. I guess since I'm newer to the industry I am not sure how other agencies get their leads, but sometimes using candidates for their connections to gather sales leads and improve your metrics seemed unethical, especially in cases where I was pretty sure I didn't have a job for that candidate. Branch offices are generally dumpy. It's a sales job, but the goals you are supposed to meet are set too far for even the best people in the company to meet. Recruiters spend way too much time doing ambiguous admin work that is piled on their desk, so even less time is allowed for actual recruiting/sales.

Advice to Management

This is not to Branch Managers, but to management at the corporate level. Treat your managers and employees better. Don't be afraid to spend at least a bit of money to show appreciation for hard work and achievement. Your business model is outdated. You need to technologically overhaul the business, from the recruiting software to the website to the computers/etc. in the branches. Everything is old and prone to breaking down. The company should just switch to Taleo or another recruiting software altogether, because the proprietary system is old, unwieldy, and not aesthetically pleasing. Furthermore, it is highly frustrating to have to wait hours for tech support (which seems to be a little incompetent sometimes) to respond to your inquiry when you could have figured it out on your own by googling the problem if it was a more common software. Instead of blocking access to facebook and other social media sites, allow recruiters to use those sites to power their recruiting even further and reach more candidates/clients.