Consistently inconsistent

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager
Former Employee - Restaurant Manager

I worked at Applebee's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for both corporate owned and franchised locations and to be completely honest, the franchise store were much better run that the company stores. I worked with some great General Managers and I've worked with some people who let a tiny bit of power go straight to their head. It really depends on the store.

Cons

Quality of life is low. Poorly written manager schedules leave you frequently sleep deprived. I would work a close mid open at least once a week in spite of the company guidelines given during orientation stating this is to happen only in extermis. 60+ hour weeks are common. Stores run for months with 2 managers. Bonus is based on sales over last year but consideration is not given for mitigating circumstances. Deferred maintenance seems to be the norm. I worked at one store that flooded in the kitchen every Sunday for a year before we were allowed to have more than Roto-rooter look at it. Unsafe and sometimes unsanitary conditions are allowed to go on because they are too expensive to fix. Managers are expected to do landscaping and repairs in their "spare time".

Advice to Management

I realize you are a great big company but maybe look into having someone local to maintain the stores in each region. Listen to your managers. Let them do their jobs. Don't expect them to do construction/maintenance work.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

horrible political waste of time

Former Employee - Manager in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Manager in Jackson, MS

I worked at Applebee's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, decent pay, sometimes fun atmosphere

Cons

managers dont hold employees accountable for actions

High Pressure, poor training for Server position

Former Employee - Food Server in Tewksbury, MA
    Former Employee - Food Server in Tewksbury, MA

I worked at Applebee's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money was good, and the place was always busy. I was making $400 in tips Thursday through Sunday. Can't think of any other pros.

Cons

The training was insufficient. Not enough to train a server. The trainer had zero incentive for me to succeed, and it showed. Politics were nuts. I came off the street. Other folks, hosts for instance, had wanted to be servers for a while, so they didn't appreciate management selecting me over them.

Advice to Management

Train better.