Appleton Learning

www.appletonlearning.com
  www.appletonlearning.com
There are newer employer reviews for Appleton Learning

I have no significant complaints; Appleton is a great employer.

Former Employee - Math, Physics, and ACT Tutor
Former Employee - Math, Physics, and ACT Tutor

I worked at Appleton Learning

Pros

Appleton Learning is unlike many tutoring companies in that they do not have predefined course work or curricula. They handle the job of finding clients, managing paperwork, collecting payments, scheduling, re-scheduling, etc., while the tutors are left in total control of the actual education side of the equation. They start you off with a few students, and if you do your work well, you get more work. If you do your work REALLY well, there are some opportunities for advancement within the company, such as becoming a "premier tutor" who commands higher rates. I was a private tutor for many years before I came to Appleton, and if you want to be a tutor without having to mess with such things as drumming up a clientele, handling cancellations and re-scheduling, and so on, this is the place for you. Just make sure you know your content area and how to teach it. Appleton prides itself on having top-notch tutors, and they will very quickly discover how good you really are.

Cons

If you want someone to hand you a book full of pre-written lessons and say "Here's what you will be teaching your student, no negotiation," then do not apply at Appleton. This may not be for you if you have never been a tutor. You will be generating your own lessons based on what you feel each specific child needs. This is not so much a "pro/con" issue as a simple heads-up.

As you continue expanding, please don't change your method of operation. I think you're onto something big. I'm of the opinion that for the most part you get the respect you give, and I really think that the way you treat tutors is the best way to get the best talent on your side. Keep up the good work.

14 Other Employee Reviews for Appleton Learning (View Most Recent)

Stellar place to work. Awesome mission.

I have been working at Appleton Learning full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Appleton is a very fast-paced environment, and every team member is crucial to the mission.

Cons

I don't have a whole lot of cons that I can think of! The pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Perfect job for people who want to be blissfully kept on their toes.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Appleton Learning full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Appleton means getting to be an integral part of something much bigger than yourself. Appleton is a relatively small company, but it somehow manages to make significant, positive changes in the school districts that it works with on a daily basis. And the best part is that no individual contribution goes unnoticed. Together we celebrate the small successes of the individuals that make up our team, and together we learn from the unfortunate errors that we've made in the past. When you work at Appleton, you learn what teamwork really means and what it can accomplish on large and small scales.

Cons

Appleton isn't your "normal" working environment. At Appleton, you have to be flexible with work hours and job responsibilities. No two days at Appleton are ever the same, and for people who like routine, this could be an issue. It isn't unusual for an employee at Appleton to be asked to operate as a program manager, a curriculum developer, and a sales representative within the span of a month. On the upside, you learn a lot of valuable skills, and you usually have fun doing it!

There are newer employer reviews for Appleton Learning