There are newer employer reviews for Appleton Learning

I have no significant complaints; Appleton is a great employer.

Former Employee - Math, Physics, and ACT Tutor
Former Employee - Math, Physics, and ACT Tutor

I worked at Appleton Learning

Pros

Appleton Learning is unlike many tutoring companies in that they do not have predefined course work or curricula. They handle the job of finding clients, managing paperwork, collecting payments, scheduling, re-scheduling, etc., while the tutors are left in total control of the actual education side of the equation. They start you off with a few students, and if you do your work well, you get more work. If you do your work REALLY well, there are some opportunities for advancement within the company, such as becoming a "premier tutor" who commands higher rates. I was a private tutor for many years before I came to Appleton, and if you want to be a tutor without having to mess with such things as drumming up a clientele, handling cancellations and re-scheduling, and so on, this is the place for you. Just make sure you know your content area and how to teach it. Appleton prides itself on having top-notch tutors, and they will very quickly discover how good you really are.

Cons

If you want someone to hand you a book full of pre-written lessons and say "Here's what you will be teaching your student, no negotiation," then do not apply at Appleton. This may not be for you if you have never been a tutor. You will be generating your own lessons based on what you feel each specific child needs. This is not so much a "pro/con" issue as a simple heads-up.

Advice to Management

As you continue expanding, please don't change your method of operation. I think you're onto something big. I'm of the opinion that for the most part you get the respect you give, and I really think that the way you treat tutors is the best way to get the best talent on your side. Keep up the good work.

reviews filtered by

Progressive, fast paced and exciting!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Appleton Learning

Pros

Appleton fosters an environment that is collaborative, trusting, and growth oriented. Employees work together to reach a common goal.

Cons

No cons to report so far.

2. Great for beginner IT persons who want less than full time and aren't concerned with benefits.

Current Contractor - Systems Technician in Huntsville, AL
    Current Contractor - Systems Technician in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Appleton Learning as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

flexible working hours, decent working conditions, not a lot of money, but definitely easy money.

Cons

Sometimes feel at odds with school staff, pay and benefits too poor to keep anyone worthwhile, therefore management ends up hiring "whoever" with zero qualifications. Yearly hour cap to keep from qualifying for medical. No 401k, tightwads with hours worked. You get a nasty email for working more than 34 hours a week.

Advice to Management

If you want good people, you have to give them an incentive.

There are newer employer reviews for Appleton Learning