Applied Materials
www.appliedmaterials.com Santa Clara, CA 5000+ Employees

A company with good bones, in need of new direction

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Applied Materials full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOne of the only places in Silicon Valley where you can do scientific engineering work and be well paid. Capital equipment for semi and display is in a strong position that isnt' going anywhere soon. You may get lucky and be able to work on truly cutting edge stuff. Chance to impact future of semiconductor, display, or other technology world.

ConsOlder workforce and a lot of institutional inertia. Young people get chewed up quick and there are many layers of management that are pretty much useless. Many many directors and middle managers overseeing a small number of overtaxed engineers doing menial tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry something different. The merger with TEL is a good start. Think bigger, though.

Very good technology company

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Applied Materials full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Work with some of the best technologist in the field. Work on leading… Cons: Since I have not work for another company, I do not know how to compare.… Advice to Senior Management: The new management is doing very good job. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Large, fast-changing company

Austin, TX

I have been working at Applied Materials full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Applied is a large, global technology and manufacturing company. Many opportunities exist… Cons: Growth has been within existing markets as well as through acquisition of smaller companies. As a result, the organization is very matrixed. In some… Advice to Senior Management: Applied is in the middle of a multi-year merger with some of its largest competitors. The merger of global employees and cultures is… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Applied Materials.

Worked for Applied Materials? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Applied Materials reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Applied Materials CEO Gary Dickerson. All reviews posted anonymously by Applied Materials employees.