Applied Materials

There are newer employer reviews for Applied Materials

Fun

Former Employee - Exucutive in Santa Clara, CA
Former Employee - Exucutive in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Applied Materials full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Chance to work with some of the brightest people imaginable
Exposure to leading edge technology that enables all of the electronic gizmo's we've come to use and enjoy.

Cons

Consolidating industry
Cyclical business as a result lots of staff churn

Continue to shift focus towards core business (semiconductor equipment)

608 Other Employee Reviews for Applied Materials (View Most Recent)

My working experience

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Applied Materials full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a design engineer, I crafted lid boxes for the Condor system, lift pin guides for the etching chamber, I modified the cathode for the G8 chamber, and designed a nanoswitch/phasorswitch box for a chamber assembly. In addition to my design experience, I also analyzed root cause of wafer breakages in the Carina chamber due to a plasma coating issue; in this project, I worked with a group of scientists to solve why wafer breakages were occurring. In another project, along with another scientist, I conducted wafer temperature uniformity measurements on Carina chamber to check temperature distribution over a number of trials. From my individual experience, I also learned how the Condor chamber is configured and lastly, I performed tests, loading wafers from foups to be plasma coated in the fab room.

Cons

In retrospect, I believe that if more guidance and more projects were provided, it would have improved my productivity and also the complexity of the projects would have been further developed and provided a method for developing more in-depth and detailed knowledge and work experience.

I want to return back to Applied Materials as I starting working in January 2009 and I left in November 2009. I am seeking reemployment as of November 2013. Please let me back. I enjoyed my experience working there. I graduated with a B.S. and M.S. degree from prestigious universities in California and I need to be monetarily supported.

Extremely dynamic, customer and build changes daily

Former Employee - Production Planner in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Production Planner in Austin, TX

I worked at Applied Materials as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great team members and dedicated people.

Cons

Hires too many contractors. Should be hiring RFT's in order to get the best results from employee's.

Stop hiring contractors to save money. You will get more results and dedication from the employees that are hire as RFT's. Hard to put your heart and soul into a job that you know is temporary and then wait 90 days before you can be hired on again. By that time you have already got someone to replace the contractor and have to waste valuable time training and re-training. Also, all the product knowledge needs to be learned all over again.

There are newer employer reviews for Applied Materials