Applied Materials

There are newer employer reviews for Applied Materials

Good company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Applied Materials full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

dynamic, world-wide opportunity, coworking with people internationally.

Cons

bureaucratic, due to the large size, less challenging, less creative work environment

not all people can be good managers. Need continuous reality check of management skills and room for improvement

600 Other Employee Reviews for Applied Materials (View Most Recent)

Etch Division lack of equality and cronyism

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer IV in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer IV in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Applied Materials full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My work was interesting and stimulating, but has become more of a drag lately.

Cons

This division has been taken over by staff from an infamous failed startup. Most of the original experienced AMAT engineers have left or have been squeezed out, and replaced their ex colleagues, in many cases with less experience, in higher positions, and very likely MUCH higher salaries.
    I've been a professional engineer for 30 years and with AMAT for over 15 years, earning several performance awards and always had great performance reviews and have heard that some of these new engineers, with much less experience, and hired at the same grade as me, are being paid up to 20% more than me.
    It's a toxic environment which is only going to get worse.
    Me, and many of my colleagues are preparing their exit strategies.

Do something about the rampant cronyism and lack of equality.

Exhausting, Confusing, Back to the Future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Applied Materials full-time

Pros

Profitable, established company. Compensation is ok. Benefits are ok.

Cons

How do I begin? Speaking of NPI Manufacturing only - New hires have "Glorified" Titles doing 100% tactical work. No structure, no process, new hires training new hires. Management is clueless when it comes to implementing strategic moves and changes. The expression "Start-up organization" seemed to be the reasoning that management uses to describe the department. Hello? AMAT has been around for 30 years or so! That is not the definition of a Start-Up. Disorganized organization is the best way to describe. One would wonder how AMAT can be a multi-billion dollar company? Cheap. Old, dusty, dirty furniture. Tasteless coffee. No plastic utensils provided - bring your own. Cubicles? What cubicles? Sharing desks where you can see your co-worker's heads/faces sitting across, next, side by side with you. Overworked group of people, working late hours and weekends, and expected to do more. New hires from AMAT competitors this they know it all. Well if it was so good are your previous companies, why did you leave???
    Culture clash everywhere. Advantage is that majority are new hires. The dis-avantage is that majority are new hires. I will not recommend this place even to an enemy. There are too many opportunities out there at better companies with better culture, work environment, and most of all intelligent people to work with, not worker bee mentality.

Spend more time creating processes for improvement. Project managers should actually use or learn to use Microsoft Project. Implement a REAL ORG CHART with REAL and CLEAR Responsibilities. Empower your staff to make decisions. Update the ERP system from 1998, and lessen the spreadsheets floating around. You might actually real see efficiency improvement. Oh here's another thing that could happen....actually produce REAL Metrics! Mentor and train your staff to become leaders, but also provide them the tools to become successful. Understand the process yourself, and pass it on to your staff and other departments so everyone is on the same page. Easy on the escalation. And when we escalate, actually do something about it. Too focused on blaming, not solving.

There are newer employer reviews for Applied Materials