There are newer employer reviews for Applied Materials

Headed in the right direction

Former Employee - Senior Director  in  Austin, TX
Former Employee - Senior Director in Austin, TX

I worked at Applied Materials full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The acquisition of Gary Dickerson came with the acquisition of Varian. Gary brings a very focused and pragmatic style to AMAT which is refreshing after years of Mike Splinter's ego centric and random leadership (we are in the solar business - oops no we're not; let's buy an e- beam company so we can throw money down a rat hole; lets hire this executive so we can fire them 2 years later when they threaten my position) .

Look at the rise in stock price and Gary's leadership vs what the stock did during Splinter's Tenure
Splinter Came in in 2003 with the Stock trading in the $14-range. On September 17, 2013 it closed at $15.04
Since Dickerson took over the stock has climbed to above $20. I believe some if that is due to the to the merger with TEL, which will give AMAT more power in the marketplace and a lot of it is due to the market's perception that Dickerson is a stronger leader than Splinter

Cons

Management tends to be 95% type A's who shoot first and ask questions later, so competition is fierce. THe organization into product business units means an unusual matrix type of organization that makes authority unclear and requires careful management of the politics. Disputes often have to be resolved by the president or CEO but not until after reputations are tarnished or ruined by complaining

Gary has things on the right track and is very practical. Seems to have eliminated most of Splinter's bad hires and promotions. Stock price is up which reflects the impact of Gary's leadership.

579 Other Employee Reviews for Applied Materials (View Most Recent)

It's not too bad, especially if you land with the right team.

Current Employee - Process Engineer IV  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer IV in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Applied Materials full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good. Colleagues are great. Can't complain about the weather here.

Cons

Promotion hard to come by. Product development teams work a lot. More R&D being incorporated but slow integration.

Great Company but Too Big to make a difference in.

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Applied Materials as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great products, New Technology and with Tel merger will be the only real powerhouse left in play.

Cons

Run by so many people who 'Know it all' yet really don't have it down as well as they think they do. Higher ups get caught too much in their own "Hype". Pure Chaos most of the time and out of control much of the time. Some crucial processes and fundamentals are non existent leaving one to wonder how AMAT actually got to be a multi billion dollar company.

Pay attention to what REALLY matters and the people making things happen. Don't believe and drink too much of the 'Koolaid" that you are making...It's no all of what you saying it really is....

There are newer employer reviews for Applied Materials

Worked for Applied Materials? Contribute to the Community!