There are newer employer reviews for Applied Materials

10 years at AMAT

Current Employee - Global Product Support Engineer IV  in  Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Global Product Support Engineer IV in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Applied Materials

Pros

Generally good group of people to work with. Benefits are good. Surrounded by very smart people.

Cons

No sense of comraderier or teamwork. No sense of responsbility for mentoring more junior engineers.

Take time to lead or mentor employees.

583 Other Employee Reviews for Applied Materials (View Most Recent)

Recommend AMAT to your enemies

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Applied Materials

Pros

High pay, well-recognized company but that's it.

Cons

Bonus is next to nothing. If you did the job well, you get a certificate saying something like "employee of the quarter" and a $100 check every quarter, pretty pathetic I would say.

Bosses and middle managers are numerous. AMAT structure is an inverse triangle: the people actually doing the jobs are few while the managers are there just to point fingers. The managers are constantly scared of losing their jobs so they push you hard to produce good results. Then, the worst thing is to expect them to put their name on it and claim everything was their ideas to keep their jobs and their pocket full. Expect to work >60 hours per week (INCLUDING weekends) so if you are having a family, I would recommend to either find another job or to ask your parents/friends to look out for your husband/wife to make sure they are not cheating on you. Here is a funny term getting passed around in AMAT: "When you work for AMAT, if you are single, expect to continue to be single, if you are married, expect a divorce..." This is sad but I witness a lot of cases so I can attest the truthfulness in these sentences. If you told the managers you want to spend more time for the family, they would constantly stressing that the economy is not doing so well so expect to work more to keep your jobs.... Sometimes, they even have the nerve to say:"Ok, sure, why don't you go home early for today to spend time with your family ? But before that, can you do this for me ? " Expect to work until 10-11 PM to finish the things they assigned you.

They constantly terrorize and harass you to make sure you get the jobs done. I was very stressed out during the time working at AMAT, enough to see a doctor... If you are the types who like to speak up and like to give out new ideas, expect to be shot down at those internal meetings. Be prepared to be bored during those meetings because most of the time it was about bosses fighting for influences and territories.

The bottom line is:
    _ I left Applied for good and have never regretted my decision.
    _ Please refer AMAT to your enemies if you would like to see them suffer. I'm sure working for Applied would be worse than any punishment you could possibly give them....

Get rid of all the middle managers and change the policies and working hours to keep all the talented engineers.

Need for improvement.

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Applied Materials

Pros

Great technology exposure, flexibility to move around within the company.

Cons

Overworked beyond 45+hrs per week. It is expected to work extreme long hours and not being recognized or compensated. Lack of team work in some departments.

Recognized employees better and give opportunities for advancements. Time off for exempt overworked employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Applied Materials

Worked for Applied Materials? Contribute to the Community!