There are newer employer reviews for Applied Materials

Great Company - Needs to Rediscover It's Internal Pride & Excitement

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Applied Materials

Pros

Very smart people working on great technology.
Undergoing major transformation to become a better company.
The work is very challenging.
Has the ability to move fast when it wants to.
Pay & benefits are pretty good....better than many appreciate.

Cons

The work environment is drab and uninspiring.
Transformation is creating instability & uncertainty in the workforce.
Too many highly paid senior managers not prepared to embrace the new direction and more forward. They keep looking upwards for more details.
Too many people complaining about how bad the company has become. I have worked for several high-tech companies and Applied Materials is one the better ones. The negativity weighs heavily on everybody and creates a sour atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Get clearer on the vision for the future....and make it more inspiring than "Escape Velocity".
Be more visible with the workforce.....more face-to-face interaction and less emphasis on intranet articles, video messages & emails.
Senior managers need to grab hold of the strategy and make it happen, deal with the uncertainty and stop waiting for others to tell you how to move forward.
Be honest about the future for US and Europe based jobs that are considered for off-shoring. Be consistent & transparent and help people deal with the consequences.
Stimlate more fun and enjoyment in the workplace....people are so serious and don't appear to be enjoy themelves.

reviews filtered by
  1. An excellent place to work if your impression of work-life balance is all work.

Current Employee - Engineering Project Manager II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Project Manager II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Applied Materials

Pros

The remaining employees with Applied Materials are very intelligent and hard working people. I like my co-workers. The pay is also good and difficult to replace when changing jobs. I work in Austin and most of the remaining Employees have been there 10 - 16 years. I'll have been there 15 years within a month.

Cons

Company used to be a technology and engineering company. Company has lost a lot of qulified workers through layoffs and attrition. Jobs are moving overseas to less skilled workers. The company is moving to overseas supply base. Product quality is secondary to profitability. Employee morale is low since the raises are far and few between but the layoffs are common. Since the company isn't expanding in the US, promotions are extremely difficult to come by (although the announcements of new VP s seem to come out regularly). Compare our stock against our competitors and you will notice that Applied is not going in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Nice job ruining a top notch company.

2. Lack of Development

Current Employee - Analyst in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Applied Materials

Pros

Smart people, People are willing to help/share information, Still innovative

Cons

Lack of career development, Managers who do not know how to lead and inspire, Lack of promotions/internal employee development, Employee morale is low due to constant layoffs and workforce that is shifting to Asia.

Advice to Management

Take an active role in the development of your people. You WIN with people. Make sure employees see how their work is valuable and important. No more layoffs please. Also, something should be done to improve employee morale. What was once a great place to work is now a place where everyone is afraid to lose their jobs.

There are newer employer reviews for Applied Materials