Applied Research Associates

www.ara.com

Good place

Former Employee - Staff Scientist  in  Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Orlando, FL

Pros

Excellent schedule flexibility. Retirement benefits above and beyond those offered at most (if not all) other local companies. Casual dress. No cubicles.

Cons

Management emphasizes that all employees are to perform marketing work, but were no good examples to follow. There was some trouble with stability at the time of my departure.

Use a separate marketing department and/or hire marketing staff with a good track record that can mentor junior employees. I felt that every marketing meeting was the presentation of the same set of slides on a different template. There was no applied marketing training. Flexibility and office environment is excellent, be sure to keep it as is.

Other reviews for Applied Research Associates

Very Disappointed and dis-illusioned

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Work schedule flexibility, pay is somewhat competitive.

Cons

Caustic work environment, lack of cross communication, verbal and public criticisms that are very rarely constructive and reduce morale, out-dated benefits package based on an employee stock plan most employees will never get to benefit from.

Good place to work if you're not support staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

- Benefits are fantastic.
    - If you're an engineer or scientist, you are treated very well
    - Management is pretty flexible for time off when you need it
    - The HR department is very easy to work with when you need to understand something
    - It's a very easy place to work
    - Despite all the cons I listed, this place is a great place to work. My job is pretty easy for me, and my boss has approved a couple training classes for me.

Cons

- Management definitely played favorites in our department. Particularly if you were a female the boss thought was cute, which I was not.
    - Management can be very unclear as to objectives and very unclear as to how they want you to get something done
    - The way the chain of command is structured, you'll often end up with a supervisor that has no understanding of your job duties, but still has to grade your performance based on what THEY understand you did
    - If you're not an engineer or a scientist, you're just another support staff peon and you definitely know it.
    - Support staff like IT, HR, and Accounting are regularly thrown under the bus by their managers
    - Typically, once you're in a position at this company, that's it; there's no real room to move up and the raises (at least for my department) were just really low.
    - Don't listen when they tell you that you can get college assistance. You only get reimbursed for the individual classes that your boss finds relevant to your job title, so about 90% of the time, you get turned down.

1. Reorganize the lower chains of command so people aren't having their performance reviews done by someone who really has no idea what your job is every day.
    2. Encourage engineers and scientists to stop treating the support staff like doormats. We do our jobs well, and you need us.
    3. Be upfront about the benefits when you interview people. The package is great without you being misleading.
    4. When people bring an issue to management where your boss is playing favorites and is mistreating his employees, don't tell us "Let's just wait and see how it works out." If managers don't take care of their employees, more of us are going to go straight to HR with our issues.

There are newer employer reviews for Applied Research Associates.

Worked for Applied Research Associates? Contribute to the Community!