Applied Research Associates

There are newer employer reviews for Applied Research Associates

Conservative entrepreneurs wanted

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Applied Research Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Freedom to pursue work in your passions. Security provided by large business infrastructure, while maintaining small business mentality in branch offices. ARA typically only does work that makes a difference in people's daily lives. Majority of ARA workers are top performers, so coworkers typically lift you up instead of pulling you down.

Cons

Professional growth occurs by trial and error rather than through training and mentoring. Mentoring typically only provided for senior employees. Engineers perform business development without sufficient training or the right personalities.

Provide more significant training. Ensure employees are prepared for responsibility rather than taking "initiation by fire" approach.

30 Other Employee Reviews for Applied Research Associates (View Most Recent)

Senior Engineer

I worked at Applied Research Associates

Pros

Engineers expected to know or become well versed in many different areas of expertise. Some ability to work on/move to other projects of personal interest.

Cons

Weak management, lack of clear goals. High level of integration engineering versus actual R&D. Engineers expected to market rather than focus on technical challenges.

Good opportunity for diversified work experience, but tend to take advantage of their employees.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vicksburg, MS
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vicksburg, MS

I have been working at Applied Research Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generous benefits including a 15% (of pre-tax salary + bonus) 'bonus' in company stock (9%) and 401k (6%) and a fairly good medical insurance plan that the company pays the bulk of. I pay around $75/mo for health, dental, and vision. Have gotten to work on a wide range of projects and get to switch up what I am working on often enough for things to not really get stale. Management, for me, is very laid back and don't usually ride you about things and leaves you alone for the most part. Not picky, usually, about when and how often you take leave and are fairly lax on when you get to (7:30-9:00) and leave work (4:00 and later).

Cons

The company won't pay overtime but they have an expectation for you to work overtime by contributing your time for free. It's just an expectation they have of their employees to dedicate large amounts of their personal time to work. They tend to pay you the bare minimum they think they can get away with (I'm underpaid by 20-30%, or $15k-$25k, for my experience and skill set) and give raises every year as a percentage of your hourly rate that tend to be rather pathetic. I've been given $0.50 ($1040) and $0.40 ($832) raises the last two years. They will keep this up until you tell them you have an offer somewhere else and then they will offer you a big raise in order to try and keep you.

Don't make your employees feel like they are being taken advantage of by pilling too much work on them and then saying they need to spend their personal time outside of work to complete it. Also, paying your employees way below the average for their position and insulting them with meager raises is not going to do you any favors in keeping them. There's been a lot of people leaving my division over the past couple of years and I am fairly certain it's because they feel like they are being taken advantage of while being underpaid and under-appreciated.

There are newer employer reviews for Applied Research Associates