Applied Research Associates

www.ara.com
There are newer employer reviews for Applied Research Associates

Good place to work. Great exposure to many fields and new ideas. Little career path development for young engineers.

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer
Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer

I have been working at Applied Research Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You have the power to shape your career, your office, and create a local culture by bringing new ideas to the table. You can pursue the work you want to pursue so long as a customer is asking for it. You get a chance to work on a myriad of projects and meet experts in many different fields. The company is employee owned and provides a generous 401K and employee stock ownership program.

Cons

Salary compensation lags behind other engineering companies. Employee compensation and benefit structures are set up to reward marketing efforts (often not directly compensated for), not technical performance. There is little to no emphasis placed on career development which can take a toll on talented young engineers.

Develop a plan to recruit and keep young engineers and scientists. Create mentoring programs for all new hires to ensure proper marketing development.

30 Other Employee Reviews for Applied Research Associates (View Most Recent)

Great place for person with initiative

Current Employee - Principal Scientist/Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Principal Scientist/Engineer in Raleigh, NC

Pros

As advertised, freedom to follow your passion. If you can find external customers and bring in work you will be appreciated and treated well. Company management does want to evolve and change and is open to suggestions. Company is employee owned, good benefits.

Cons

Unpredictability in work flow and large variations in culture from office to office.

Despite pretty good benefits need to work on a retention policy for top technical experts that can also sell work. ARA is more dependent on these individuals than most companies and their rewards should reflect this.

Ok Pay, fun place to work

Former Employee - LAN Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - LAN Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Applied Research Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This was, without a doubt, the most fun work environment I've had. The coworkers were talented and very friendly. The HR department was helpful every time I had a question regarding benefits, pay, etc. The benefits through BCBS were inexpensive and covered a lot more than I've gotten through other employers. The company highly encouraged their employees to obtain more certifications and continue their education. There was a lot of opportunity for IT staff to get more involved in all aspects of an IT department. Also, this was one of the few positions I've ever had where the IT department was treated with a sense of respect. That's surprisingly rare these days.

Cons

The pay left much to be desired and there wasn't much room for promotion or raises. When I left the company, it was because I got an offer to do the same work for almost $8 /hr more. If ARA would have been willing to match even half of that, I would have stayed in a heartbeat.

This was an amazing company to work for, with the exception of pay for your IT staff. If you can find a way to bring the pay for your folks up to par with other employers, you'll have a perfect combination.

There are newer employer reviews for Applied Research Associates