Applied Research Associates
www.ara.com Albuquerque, NM 1000 to 5000 Employees

Good place to work if you're not support staff

Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Applied Research Associates

Pros- Benefits are fantastic.
- If you're an engineer or scientist, you are treated very well
- Management is pretty flexible for time off when you need it
- The HR department is very easy to work with when you need to understand something
- It's a very easy place to work
- Despite all the cons I listed, this place is a great place to work. My job is pretty easy for me, and my boss has approved a couple training classes for me.

Cons- Management definitely played favorites in our department. Particularly if you were a female the boss thought was cute, which I was not.
- Management can be very unclear as to objectives and very unclear as to how they want you to get something done
- The way the chain of command is structured, you'll often end up with a supervisor that has no understanding of your job duties, but still has to grade your performance based on what THEY understand you did
- If you're not an engineer or a scientist, you're just another support staff peon and you definitely know it.
- Support staff like IT, HR, and Accounting are regularly thrown under the bus by their managers
- Typically, once you're in a position at this company, that's it; there's no real room to move up and the raises (at least for my department) were just really low.
- Don't listen when they tell you that you can get college assistance. You only get reimbursed for the individual classes that your boss finds relevant to your job title, so about 90% of the time, you get turned down.

Advice to Senior Management1. Reorganize the lower chains of command so people aren't having their performance reviews done by someone who really has no idea what your job is every day.
2. Encourage engineers and scientists to stop treating the support staff like doormats. We do our jobs well, and you need us.
3. Be upfront about the benefits when you interview people. The package is great without you being misleading.
4. When people bring an issue to management where your boss is playing favorites and is mistreating his employees, don't tell us "Let's just wait and see how it works out." If managers don't take care of their employees, more of us are going to go straight to HR with our issues.

Very good company

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Applied Research Associates

Pros: Surrounded by a lot of smart, motivated people. Excellent benefits. They care about the customer and produce quality work. Good software development process. The office… Cons: Product releases are stressful due to "war-room" environment (but kind of fun too).… Advice to Senior Management: Keep winning the good projects. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

A pretty decent defense contractor

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL

I have been working at Applied Research Associates

Pros: Lots of small-team, short-timescale projects, so you get a lot of hands-on experience coding. Smarter tech workers than… Cons: Career advancement requires customer marketing and project management - including all the boring parts like accounting and personnel management. Hope you don't like actually… Advice to Senior Management: Enable communication throughout the company as a whole - being one part of a… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Applied Research Associates.

Worked for Applied Research Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Applied Research Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Applied Research Associates CEO Rob Sues. All reviews posted anonymously by Applied Research Associates employees.