Applied Underwriters

There are newer employer reviews for Applied Underwriters

Claims Adjuster

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Omaha, NE
Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Applied Underwriters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

100% of health insurance paid for by the company. This includes your prescription costs as well. I also take advantage of their matching 401-K benefit and tuition reimbursement program. Excellent starting salary and a true escalating career path, which included several promotions with substantial raises. We are currently experiencing a nice growth pattern. This company has been an excellent employer as they provided me with the training, guidance and experience to become an exceptional claims adjuster. There is a wonderful team spirit vibe at Applied Underwriters. Everyone is always willing to help you when the need arises. My team leader and supervisor are great at communicating what is expected of me on a daily basis. I would recommend this company to anyone who is looking for a fantastic, rewarding and challenging career.

Cons

I wish they offered more paid time off (PTO), but they do have excellent benefits, which are paid for by the company, not the employee. Last year they had some employees who really disrupted our department with negative behavior, but they have left the company and it is like night and day now. A great place to work.

Add an additional week of PTO.

54 Other Employee Reviews for Applied Underwriters (View Most Recent)

Don't expect to stay for long...

Former Employee - Financial Technical Analyst in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Technical Analyst in Foster City, CA

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time

Pros

-Above average starting salary
    -Good job training for new analysts

Basically, if you're fresh out of college and need a place to cut your teeth, this place is fine. Just don't expect to put down roots in this business. The first month or so is just training in VFP and SQL.

Cons

-No benefits, sparse vacation time
    -Ridiculous micromanagement; boss is impossible to deal with
    -Insists on using obscolescent tools and systems (Visual FoxPro? Really?)
    -Very little opportunity for advancement

Productivity is not measured by the quality of your work, but by the clock. The management really gets on your case if you clock out early (< 9 hours). Expect friction between work and your family and social life. Furthermore, you have to clock out for lunch; the entire team usually eats a hurried half hour lunch.

The stuff you will be using is really antiquated. There is little novelty in the work; you spend most of your time doing queries, reports, and maintaining the absurd amount of legacy code in the system. Your ideas will mostly be ignored. Do not expect to do anything important; they won't even let you access production for a year or two, and most people leave before their first year is up.

Learn to trust your employees.

Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in Clifton Park, NY
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Applied Underwriters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Applied offered regular hours, competitive pay, nice co workers. The office anvirnemtn and benefits package were also very nice.

Cons

Easy, boring, work that rarely offered a challenge. Many talented developers came and went through the office likely due to the mind numbing work that went on there.

There are newer employer reviews for Applied Underwriters