There are newer employer reviews for Apria Healthcare

Great place to work but supervisors are definitely lacking in experience

Current Employee - Customer Inquiry Representative in Minster, OH
Current Employee - Customer Inquiry Representative in Minster, OH

I have been working at Apria Healthcare

Pros

Great time off benefits, understanding when absences occur, laid-back atmosphere so long as phones aren't swamped, opportunity for advancement is good

Cons

leads and supervisors don't really know what they are doing, reps answering phones know more as they have the hands on experience but the supervisors and leads would not be able to answer call after call and do the job, leads are just a way for supervisors to micro manage every little move each employee makes, company is more interested in the number of calls taken rather than the quality and satisfaction of the customer

Advice to Management

If you really want to establish a one call resolution policy with patients calling in to billing, you need more reps answering phones rather than a supervisor or a lead staring at a call que monitor for hours on end making sure that each rep isn't taking too long to pee or heaven forbid following up on a patient's account like we said we would.

reviews filtered by

Room for much improvement!

Former Employee - Finance & Accounting in Lake Forest, CA
    Former Employee - Finance & Accounting in Lake Forest, CA

I worked at Apria Healthcare

Pros

Pros may vary between department and are likely to be influenced by those leading departments (i.e. Sales, Finance, Nursing, etc).

- Generally flexible when requesting time off from work.
    - People I work with within corporate finance/accounting are polite and for the most part, easy to work with. There has NOT been any occassions that I have personally witnessed where one colleague has thrown another "under the bus" in order to advance their own career.

I can't think of any other "Pros" about Apria.

Cons

There are much more "Cons" to list than "Pros"

- I work at the corporate headquarters for 100% of my time with the company, it seems that more often than not, departments heads and executives were working remotely (if working at all). One department head rarely interacted with anyone below the manager level.
    - Rarely (I don't remember one occassion) any communication from the CEO to the company employees. It doesn't appears that the senior executives are doing much to make the company more profitable, yet the board of director approves bonuses for the top executives even though they failed to meet performance targets, yet they do not give bonuses to any other employees outside the executive team - unbelievable (this is disclosed in the company 2010 Form 10-K).
    - Unless your a manager or above, you're not elegible for a bonus, and even then you likely won't receive a bonus even if your position does qualify given the poor performance of the company as a whole. The infusion segment does relatively well, it's the home medical equipment segment that has been performing so poorly.
    - There has been no organic growth. Occassionally, the company will purchase another company in a particular region of the country to expand is national presence.
    - The company was owned by Black Rock, a private equity firm, which I believe has impacted the company's ability to reward employees with more competitive benefits.
    - Company 401K match is $0.25 for every $1 the employee contributes up to a maximu match of 2% of the employees salary. This is pathetic! And...the 401K investment options are mediocre at best.
    - Instead of breaking up PTO between Vacation (2 wk), Sick (1 wk), and Personal (1 wk), it would better if the company lumped all time off together and permitted exemp workers with 4 weeks of PTO for employees to use at their descretion.
    - Based on my experience, the company experience quite a bit of turnover. Rarely do those who hold a position below manager, stay with the company more than two years.

There is definitely more that can be written here, but I'll leave it to other to fill in the blanks.

Advice to Management

See the "Cons" I listed above.

2. GRATIFYING JOB

Current Employee - DRIVER TECH in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - DRIVER TECH in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Apria Healthcare

Pros

Apria ia a stable place to work, in most casses the company hires and promotes within. Apria supplies the tools and trianing needed to thrive in a career with them. THEY ENCOURAGE IT. If you love to help you're fellow man then this is the job for you, if not... than mabye not so much.

Cons

The compensation is not so good. no matter the promotion the max raise is a 7% increase regaurdless of they position in wich you have been promoted. ie( from diver tech. to management for example..) you would litarlly have to quit and hope to be re-hired to earn the proper compinsation

Advice to Management

The leadership as a hole is very policy driven, with not many if any grey areas. A very focused group. there is room for improvement although that can be said with most any company.