There are newer employer reviews for Aqua Hotels and Resorts

A shadow of its former self

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Aqua Hotels and Resorts

Pros

The main thing that kept me working at the Ilikai was the family atmosphere of the hotel. Everyone knew everyone and everyone did their best to help each other out. The customer-facing staff were great people and had lots of experience with the jobs they did, and the management staff were very easy to work with and understanding of each other's needs. Time off was given when needed. Even during its tough times, the HR staff was adamant about keeping our benefits packages too, which kept employee morale up.

Cons

The former owners who bought the hotel pretty much transformed it from a glorious two-tower money maker into a single tower hotel with only a fraction of the rooms it originally had. Management and senior staff had to do their best to keep the hotel afloat, but it was pretty much running in the red for almost the entire duration of the former owners' ownership. The bank that loaned the money to the owners have now taken ownership of it and brought in an OK (but highly understaffed) management company to make it profitable again, but right now it is near impossible for the front-facing workers to have stable hours due to the amount of juggling management have to do to keep the hotel going. It really is a shadow of its former glorious self, and although the hotel is now slightly profitable, I've seen the hit on morale the huge cutbacks and job consolidations have made on the hotel staff. And of course, there is always office politics involved. It's not all roses like I've mentioned in the Pros section, but I don't think there will ever be a workplace free of office politics.

The only thing I recommend to the current management company at the Hotel is to keep an eye on your employees' morale. These are very experienced staff you're dealing with, and although you may sometimes feel that they're not giving their 100% into the hotel, it's mostly because of what they experienced over the past decade or so. The bottom line is, the hotel is capable of becoming so much more, and I'm sure the front line staff and the management that are still around want to see it thrive into what the great and iconic hotel deserves to be.

reviews filtered by

Aqua Hotels & Resorts-My thoughts

Current Employee - Human Resources in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Aqua Hotels and Resorts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule and great people to work with.

Cons

Extremely far from home, traffic and 24 hour operations.

I don't have anything to say at this time.

You have been warned... political, discriminatory & inept management, recently sold

Current Employee - Manager - Sales/Marketing in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Manager - Sales/Marketing in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Aqua Hotels and Resorts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed ok pay, good bonuses, an inspired founder, advancement, pay increases, and for the most part a dynamic team of coworkers that were engaging and friendly.

- Bonuses
    - Friendly Coworkers
    - Inspiring Founder: Mike Paulin (no longer present)
    - Hotel Management Contract Acquisitions (growth)

Cons

Unfortunately most of pros have slowly regressed over the past few years. Early in 2013 the ESOP (employee stock ownership program) was dismantled and by Q4 2013 the company was sold without notice leaving the remaining employees disgruntled. As underlying issues are forced to the surface the business disintegration will only accelerate.

- Poor Director to Executive Level Management
       - Including Deep Underlying Discrimination Issues, namely: Racism & Sexism
       - Under qualified leadership
       - Fraternizing and Favoritism at the VP level
     - Increasingly Bureaucratic
     - Stifled Creativity
     - Extreme Politics

If you're a GM, Director, VP, or other Executive at Aqua: quit while you're ahead, things are about to get uglier than you could have ever imagined.

There are newer employer reviews for Aqua Hotels and Resorts