Aqua Hotels and Resorts
www.aquaresorts.com Honolulu, HI 1000 to 5000 Employees

A shadow of its former self

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Aqua Hotels and Resorts

ProsThe main thing that kept me working at the Ilikai was the family atmosphere of the hotel. Everyone knew everyone and everyone did their best to help each other out. The customer-facing staff were great people and had lots of experience with the jobs they did, and the management staff were very easy to work with and understanding of each other's needs. Time off was given when needed. Even during its tough times, the HR staff was adamant about keeping our benefits packages too, which kept employee morale up.

ConsThe former owners who bought the hotel pretty much transformed it from a glorious two-tower money maker into a single tower hotel with only a fraction of the rooms it originally had. Management and senior staff had to do their best to keep the hotel afloat, but it was pretty much running in the red for almost the entire duration of the former owners' ownership. The bank that loaned the money to the owners have now taken ownership of it and brought in an OK (but highly understaffed) management company to make it profitable again, but right now it is near impossible for the front-facing workers to have stable hours due to the amount of juggling management have to do to keep the hotel going. It really is a shadow of its former glorious self, and although the hotel is now slightly profitable, I've seen the hit on morale the huge cutbacks and job consolidations have made on the hotel staff. And of course, there is always office politics involved. It's not all roses like I've mentioned in the Pros section, but I don't think there will ever be a workplace free of office politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only thing I recommend to the current management company at the Hotel is to keep an eye on your employees' morale. These are very experienced staff you're dealing with, and although you may sometimes feel that they're not giving their 100% into the hotel, it's mostly because of what they experienced over the past decade or so. The bottom line is, the hotel is capable of becoming so much more, and I'm sure the front line staff and the management that are still around want to see it thrive into what the great and iconic hotel deserves to be.

Aqua Hotels & Resorts-My thoughts

Human Resources (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aqua Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros: Flexible work schedule and great people to work with. Cons: Extremely far from home, traffic and 24 hour operations. Advice to Senior Management: I don't have anything to say at this time. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

You have been warned... political, discriminatory & inept management, recently sold

Manager - Sales/Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aqua Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: I enjoyed ok pay, good bonuses, an inspired founder, advancement, pay increases, and for the most part a dynamic team of… Cons: Unfortunately most of pros have slowly regressed over the past few years. Early in 2013 the ESOP (employee stock ownership program) was dismantled and by… Advice to Senior Management: If you're a GM, Director, VP, or other Executive at Aqua: quit while… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Aqua Hotels and Resorts.

Worked for Aqua Hotels and Resorts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aqua Hotels and Resorts reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aqua Hotels and Resorts CEO Ben Rafter. All reviews posted anonymously by Aqua Hotels and Resorts employees.