Arapahoe House

Steady Employment with Treatment Provider

Current Employee - Counselor
Current Employee - Counselor

I have been working at Arapahoe House

Pros

Overall employees are easy to get along with and helpful. Management can often be helpful in difficult client situations. Supervision is very good.

Cons

Management tends to be secretive about changes in organization and there is a lot of gossip as a result. Many counselors do not feel valued with regard to salary and respect level from upper management.

Talk to clinicians about ways you may show you value what they do. Case loads are very high and pay is below average in the field.

9 Other Employee Reviews for Arapahoe House (View Most Recent)

Good Professional Experience working with a challenging Substance Abuse/Mental Health population

Current Employee - Clinician in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Clinician in Denver, CO

I have been working at Arapahoe House (more than an year)

Pros

Great experience and good for getting credentials if you are seeking licensure/certification in Substance Abuse and Mental health field.

Cons

Constant change, lack of time off, periodic understaffing which creates concern for employee safety both professional and personal. Senior Management seems a bit far from their experience in the clinical trenches.

Concern about being a CARF agency is causing stress for employees. Constant change with little to no notice is very challenging for employees and downright demoralizing for many.

Lack of staff support

I have been working at Arapahoe House full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The area for growth is huge. There is little consistency and lots of things you must learn to let go from staff and clients. Sometimes the payout can be huge when you see someone succeed. The variety of programs and clients keeps it interesting.

Cons

There is little to no support between staff members; there is no team work, and no consistency on rules, ethics, or procedure. Staff and management talk about these things being important, but is does not show up in the implementation, under the guise of "individualized treatment". At least at the unit I was at later in my Arapahoe House career, the clients run the show. The staff shows unethical practices by keeping clients in higher level of care than needed, making exceptions to key rules, and allowing clients to be inappropriate and even abusive to other clients and staff. The turnover of staff is high and the reasons are clear. The stress and strain of the field is bad enough, and paired with the lack of staff competence makes this low-paying job completely miserable.

Listen to your employees more- I have raised these general concerns as well as specific ones with every level of management from my unit sup, to HR and I have not felt heard or seen a change.

There are newer employer reviews for Arapahoe House